Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Oh, Deer!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mike stopski

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Oh, Deer!! Reply with quote

Yes, folks! It's that time of the year again. The deer are out, they are abundant, and they are especially squirrley this time of year! This means we should all be "On our toes" and alert while out and about.

Unfortunately for me, I was not alert enough to avoid impact last night in Roundtop. I was tooling down a rocky driveway,about 9pm, only doing about 20mph (fortunately!), when, as I rounded a slight bend, there she was, only 10 - 12 feet away. I don't know whose eyes were bigger- mine or the deer's! With not a moment to react, (2 seconds, actually, if you do the math; it seemed like so much less), I didn't even have time to brace for impact.

The next thing I remember, I was tumbling down the driveway, and found myself sitting on the ground, a little dazed and confused.

Yes, I hit the deer on MY BIKE!

Nothing broken but my wheel (waffled it so bad it split at the seam) and my helmet, which had driveway stones embedded in it. Other than that, a ripped jersey and road rash on my shoulder, a pair of skinned knees, a sore nose (it feels like I took a punch!) and general soreness all around. It certainly could have been much worse! I was back on my feet in a couple of minutes, but my ride was over for the night.

What a RUSH! All things considered, I still feel it was the best ride ever!! If I could change 1 thing... I wish we got it on video!
lilmort

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn Mike Shocked Out of curiousity...did you do any damage to her or were you more like bug on a windshield?
bike this

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your an animal....runner over-er... Question Confused Question Confused
Hope you feel better.
TriassicDoc
El Presidente

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a strange idea of fun.

I've been seeing a lot of deer on the horse trail rides I've been going on. Last year, I was riding [horses] with a friend and they took off with 2 deer who ran right by them. We were running with the deer! It was so much fun!
jamesframes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoulda jumped it....xtreme!
g60dude

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn dude..............that sucks, but at least you are ok. I was just talking with Sleepy and he said they thought you may have needed to go to the hospital initially.

You think you have a concussion? Hope you get better soon man

mike stopski

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. It's great that I have been able to laugh about this for the past 3 days! Even better that I am still able to walk and talk! And truth be told, I'm no crazier now than I've ever been.

Thanks for everyone's concern for my well being; I'm pretty sure at this point that I'm going to make it! As far as the deer is concerned, I have no clue of its condition, but I suspect that I took the brunt of the beating!

Anyway, as always, I'm looking forward to the next "Best Ride Ever"!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: