Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Winter foot wear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g60dude

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Winter foot wear Reply with quote

I've seen winter riding shoes and booties that slide over shoes for winter riding. My feet really dont get that cold riding in winter, except when they get wet.......Are there any booties, or liners (socks) for your shoes that are somewhat water resistant? Or do I have to bite the bullet and go for an actual winter shoe?

huckup

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One word for you my friend, Duct Tape. Looks pretty, and wears well. The grey goes with everything. Really says sophistication and down to earth without being pretentious. You can also fashion a spiffy matching thong with the leftover tape which will keep your "boys" dry and happy (but it hurts like hell pulling it off).

Kona King Kikapu deluxe
Groovy Hardtail SS 29er
Seven road bike
bikejunkie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, I have a pair of Gortex sox. They work ok for keeping your feet dry but, I find them to be kina bulky inside my bike shoes. Because they make your shoes tight, my feet still get cold after an hour or so. I have been looking at those neoprene booties for years, I just never could bring myself to spend the money on them.

Doug
raybag

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a pair of neoprene booties and they really do a good job of keeping the tootsies dry and warm. The only downside is that they can make it more difficult to clip into your pedal. I've seen folks who use the winter shoes and they swear by them but typically they're a lot more money than the stylin' booties.
Chico2000

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I wear neoprene socks. They won't keep your feet dry if you step in a puddle but they keep 'em warm either way. A wetsuit for your feet.
I have toe covers too which are nice. Not as bulky as full booties but still block most of the cold air coming into the toe box.

There was a great show on either the Science channel or Nation Geographic last week where they subject a guy to extreme cold temperatures in a controlled environment. One conclusion was how important keeping your core/torso warm is. So I'm always sure to get my torso dry and warm before I step outside.
And then of course you always need to keep your skull warm. I have a thin beanie from Pearl Izumi and in bitter cold I tape up the vents on my helmet.

The good news is that it'll be in the 60's today and I'm going riding. Laughing
Maybe I'll bring the camera and post some pics on the mtbr.com "Capital Region'' or "Thacher Park'' thread.
g60dude

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chico2000 wrote:

The good news is that it'll be in the 60's today and I'm going riding. Laughing
Maybe I'll bring the camera and post some pics on the mtbr.com "Capital Region'' or "Thacher Park'' thread.

thanks for you input.............and regarding if you bring your camera, post some pix here in the gallery. Smile Ive never ridden up in the Capital District. Only place up north Ive ridden is Skidmore

bikejunkie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way Don, Duct Tape is two words Laughing
Tim845

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont miss booties, stepping on them, a bitch to put on, not durable....
Im onto something with my Lake winter shoes. They're so waterproof ~thats a feature by itself. Theyre about as warm as booties, but better to walk in, way more useful. If youre going to ride in winter you'll be walking a little more than usual maybe, so might as well do it right. The Lakes have fallen apart (2 pr 2 yr), but the manufacturer's stood by them. There's also Answer's.
g60dude

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedaler845 wrote:
I dont miss booties, stepping on them, a bitch to put on, not durable....
Im onto something with my Lake winter shoes. They're so waterproof ~thats a feature by itself. Theyre about as warm as booties, but better to walk in, way more useful. If youre going to ride in winter you'll be walking a little more than usual maybe, so might as well do it right. The Lakes have fallen apart (2 pr 2 yr), but the manufacturer's stood by them. There's also Answer's.

I see Answers is about $50 cheaper........Are the Lakes that much better, or is it a situation where you are paying for the name?

harry

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Lake shoes Reply with quote

I have had my lakes for about 6 or 7 years , they are the best out there . several friends ride with them , and feel the same way. I have heard they are $149 at preformance . a deal! Harry
Riceball

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Cheap winter boot fix Reply with quote

For years, I have used tyvek envelopes, recycled Fedex 10x13's...
Stuff is technically spunbonded olefin and works like gore tex, retains warmth, repels water, releases moisture vapor.
Put the envelope over a moderate warmth sock, stick it in your shoe and go. Crinkle the envelope into a ball before using to get added flexibility.
I also carry a fresh one that has not been crinkled for my back. I position it so my lower back and butt have coverage to protect me from icy fling off from my back tire. This may require a larger envelope for some.
The stuff weighs very little and costs less if you recycle those that come your way....riceguys finish last...
Tim845

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd bought my Lakes on the solid reputation Harry refers too. I think their last production run must've had some glitch because I've firsthand knowledge of 4 recent pairs failing prematurely. My second warranteed pair is being repaired by Lake....when they're together theyre darn good riding/hiking & keeping warm/dry. I've heard that fed-ex stuff works well, it just brings back too many memories for me of fussing with duct tape in the cold with booties, plastic bags, etc....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: