Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Opinion? Full Suspension, hardtail or rigid?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g60dude

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Opinion? Full Suspension, hardtail or rigid? Reply with quote

Which do you prefer, full suspension or hardtail? Or will you go the different route and do a rigid 29er? For the past 10 years or so I've been riding full suspension. This past year I bought myself a hardtail for a couple reasons. One reason was just to have a backup, because it seems with full suspensions there is always an issue going on. Another reason was simplicity. The simple hardtail frame just looks so much cleaner. The last reason was for the smoother single track trails such as Stewart, the hard tail seems like the better bike to go with. I definitely feel more comfortable on my full suspension. But I ask myself, if its just because I ride it more often, or is it because it is more forgiving. I do know a hardtail will make you a better ride in that you do have to pick your lines better. Just last week my rear shock went AGAIN. With it being so close to winter, Im gonna just ride the hardtail for a bit and see if I can get that comfort level I have on my FS. Anyways, I was just wondering what other peoples thoughts are?

raybag

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, I'll bet you get all different ideas on this topic. Well here's mine.

I truly love my full suspension bike and feel that it allows me to ride things that I probably wouldn't attempt on my hardtail. Case in point is yesterdays ride at Blue, and the ride I was on Thursday night. Off of Shaupeneak Ridge on the techy singletrack descent, all I had to do was "point and shoot" and I could glide right through. I agree that using a hardtail makes you pick better lines but, after all, most all of us had begun our mountain biking careers on hardtails so we already possess those skills. And I still look for the best line anyway.

Do I miss the rapid acceleration of my hardtail? You bet. Do I wish my full suspension weighed what my hardtail did? Yup. Will I accept these sacrifices for the cushy ride of my full squish? Without a doubt.

Now I still think it's a good idea to have a backup bike or one that you are going to use site specific, Stewart etc., and a hardtail makes the most sense for this. Getting out on the hardtail or SS if that's your flavor allows you to remenisce about the "good ole days" of rapid acceleration, unbelievable lightness, and a sore back the next day.

Enjoy!
bikejunkie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Greg,

Where do we begin? Confused I have a fairly high end cushy Kona as you know. With 5" of Fox front and rear, she's a sweet ride through the bumps let me tell ya. I truly loved her when she first came into my arms but, I have to say, she wasn't a very loyal girl and let me down (and walking out of the woods) often. I soon realized that she was posessed by Shimano so, in rebellion I built up my Fisher F/S with NO shimano parts (and no gears). I had a blast! As the Fisher frame began showing her age and knowing I have to have a spare bike on hand, I went internet shopping. That's when I found my Redline. On the first ride on her I was hooked. She is light and nimble and accelerates like no bike I have ever owned. I will say that she can get a little harsh in the bumps but there is a pure feeling and a connection to the trail that I just dont get on my duely. Besides, being a SS, your not on the seat all that much anyway.
If I had to compair to two, The hardtail would like driving tricked out jeep through the down a narrow fire road and then taking a Hummer H1 down that same road.
If I could go back, I never would have layed down all that cash for that duley. I could have bought a nice geared hardtail and a sweet singlespeed for the same amount of cash.

My 2 cents! Twisted Evil
bikejunkie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOPS, forgot to undo the bold letters Embarassed
Kevin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps you're a man who grabs life by the cuff. You live your life your way. And it shows...in the clothes you wear...in the women you love...in the bike you ride.

Sleek. Agile. The sculpted lines of the once piece body invite you on for a ride. With a solid frame she's different. A step ahead of the others. Go to her. Let her cradle you in the softness of her lines. Surround youself with the lushness of her uncomplicated manner. Your bike is ready.

Now. Start pedaling your hardtail.

Lead her to the singletrack. This is where she wants to be. Unleash the rentless power of her 27 or 1 speed drivetrain (your choice). Control her every movement - her every twist and turn - as you take hold of her 1.25" riser bars with 8? sweep. She'll make it smooth with her 4130 CroMo frame. She'll carry you away as your heart rate redlines.

A hardtail is for you. Waiting for you. And one more good thing, she costs so little to keep happy.

I love my hardtails/rigids.
raybag

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Kevin, I feel a little sweaty and have a craving for a cigarette after reading that love story! Embarassed
burtondogs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

I think this comes down to what kind of riding you do and where you ride.
Ive never ridden anything besides a steel hardtail.
About 90% of my riding is at 909 so I am good to go.

When I ride at Jockey Hill or Blue Mountain, where there are alot more rocks and I am not familar with the lines, I feel like im getting tossed around all day. I start think about getting some shocks.

later
Jim
g60dude

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

raybag wrote:
Wow Kevin, I feel a little sweaty and have a craving for a cigarette after reading that love story! Embarassed

Dude, I thought the exact same thing.........I felt the urge to stick my fingers in my glass of water and splash my face a few times. Shocked

Kevin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't see that one coming, eh? Laughing
bikejunkie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I think we need to find Kevin a girl Cool
shizzle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow such verbal eloquence
When talking of hard or softtail elements

When it comes to tails, I like mine hard
A full suspension's not in the cards

My bike is stiff and kind of old
Behind the times or so Im told

I will not pay to fix the bushings
Ill do without the softail cushing

Tho my back may feel like----
The faithful hardtail never quits

And when your bike is in the shop
Its my bike that just wont stop

Even Gordons gone full bouncer
Ill just drink my 40 ouncer
bikejunkie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well put Peter! Shocked Train!
bluebug32

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! You guys are silly. Nothing quite like An Ode to My Hardtail....

As for me, I'm a full-sus kind of girl. I started out on a nice hardtail a couple years ago when I started riding singletrack seriously. After some major backaches, buttaches, you-name-it-aches, I decided that I could either put my money toward frequent visits to the chiropractor or into some serious squish. Guess which one I chose.... Very Happy
Kevin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Peter!
huckup

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, the world as I see it...

Doug sees it like it is, simplicity
Peter sees it like it should be, beautiful
Kevin is lucky to see (remember what your mamma told you, you'll go blind!)
And Raybag, well, he's just lucky...

For me, life is short. Ride 'em soft Wink , ride 'em hard Twisted Evil , but just ride 'em

Kona King Kikapu deluxe
Groovy Hardtail SS 29er
Seven road bike
tom church

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went FS a few years ago and never turned back. I ride hard and jump off of anything I can find, I love blasting through super tech sections at high speeds and so I will deal with some pedal bob...

My trail bike is a 6" and 6" 34lb Prophet MX with coil front and rear. I may not be able to keep up with the super fast guys but I can hold my own on most hills and long rides. The bike has been off of 10' drops at Diablo Freeride Park and has done 20 mile rides.

If you just like to ride fast flowy singletrack like 909 then a hardtale is fine...but go ride it at Blue Mtn or Sprain Ridge a few times and you'll be wishing for that squish (think of trails like monster, stinger or debacle...).

My next bike will have 9" of rear susp. travel in the back and 8 in the front!!! (Sinister R9 Downhill race bike to replace my old Gemini).

Tom
Tim845

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy Blue Mountain/Westchester trails equally(!) on my trailbike dually or my fairly light htail ~its Jockey and Onteora where youve really got to work the htails for flow so as not to take a beating. Imho.
bikejunkie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode Blue Mtn. last week on my hard tail single. I thought the trails down there were perfect for that bike. No need for a dualy at all. But, then, I ride Jockey and Onteora lake on the same bike so, I't all what your used to I guess. Trust me, dualies do have there place and my plan is to be on mine this sunday at Onteora Lake. Very Happy

Doug
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: