Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Please sign

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GG
Veep

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:48 am    Post subject: Please sign Reply with quote

I know, another petition....but this one may actually have an impact locally. The petition is to improve route 299 in New Paltz for cyclists and is precipitated by the horrific accident recently which put a cyclist in critical condition with unimaginable injuries. To add insult to injury, literally, the driver fled the seen after seeing what she had done to the cyclist, Gaby O'Shea. Please sign...maybe 299 will be made safer. It has been scheduled for improvements for over a decade but it keeps getting delayed again and again.

https://www.change.org/p/ulster-county-make-rt-299-safe-for-cyclists-in-new-paltz-and-gardiner?recruiter=15698865&utm_source=share_petition&utm_medium=copylink
paetersen

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

article about the incident and the proposals.
http://hudsonvalleyone.com/2016/09/22/new-paltz-community-rallies-to-help-gabriela-oshea-after-serious-bicycle-crash/
TriassicDoc
El Presidente

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed that they now have a digital sign to alert drivers to cyclists when you're coming into town.
roadrider

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was out that way last night. A 3' shoulder has been added to both lanes from town to butterville.
chiefmatesam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has there been any more talk about finishing the rail trail and bringing it into downtown New Paltz? I know I'd rather ride on that than 299 (that road scares the hell out of me!!) Petition signed by the way.
GG
Veep

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There won't be a 100% rail trail connection but there is a plan to improve the connection. It is still some time down the road...
TriassicDoc
El Presidente

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have more information about the rail trail extension, but I can't remember the specifics... or anything at all in fact, but I remember being excited.

We are also working on figuring out how to secure an RTP grant to make the rail trail more accessible to villages without having to clash with traffic on busy highways.
roadrider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiefmatesam wrote:
Has there been any more talk about finishing the rail trail and bringing it into downtown New Paltz? I know I'd rather ride on that than 299 (that road scares the hell out of me!!) Petition signed by the way.

AFAIK, the plan to connect the Wallkill Tail to the HV (Highland) trail was planned to go around town through Dubois and connect at BOCES on 32. In fact it's hard not to notice that the in process marking of that newly paved road would appear to have a wide enough shoulder to make cycling safe. 299 East of NP has a pretty darn wide shoulder. Lloyd was planning to take their RT to somewhere around Lowe's. I though funding for about half of this was already in place, and the brush at river road had been cut back, but still no heavy equipment there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: