Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Jim Thorpe - 10 years after

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Henrik

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 7:30 pm    Post subject: Jim Thorpe - 10 years after Reply with quote

Hit some classic Jim Thorpe singletrack today. I think it's been 10 years since the last MTB Weekend, time flies. I was able to find all the trails I was looking for, but there's been a lot of ATV traffic there. Doesn't look like too many people ride there anymore. Can't believe I used to ride there fully rigid. Yikes.

The trails are still awesome, but not the smartest idea to ride there solo so I walked some stuff that was rideable. Getting smarter in my old age. Weather was awesome, I'll always remember the torrential rainstorms of Mountain Bike Weekends.
jamesframes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like i missed the high point-never been

Support your LBS-Bicycle Depot New Paltz NY
Tim845

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those weekends were great!
I thought the trails they used for the fest were better than American Standard, Deer Run, Uranium...
I remember riding singletrack in a 50' wide forest on the edge of a strip mine. Weird & armageddon cool.
Richard

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember the eternal underground coal mine fires in the region with the wispy smoke rising out of the moonscape like earth.
ByStickel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the status of bicycles on Gameland property? I thought they had been restricted, and that's why the festivals ended.

I remember reading that you could use a bike to access the land for 'sporting' use, and that if you wanted to ride, you could bring a folding fishing pole along, but I doubt the rangers would be amused.
Henrik

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only rode on the other side of the road from Mauch Chunk park, across from the old expo area. I rode up the switchback past the power lines, then climbed up to the top of the ridge. Then followed the ridge in the opposite direction from there. If that's illegal, it's not posted anywhere. I know you can't ride on the gamelands, just don't know where those gamelands are. I picked up a map at the ranger station, but it wasn't much help.

I'd bet that as long as it's not hunting season, the chance of getting in trouble for riding off limit areas is incredibly slim to none. Not that I would condone that though. There's a lot of land down there.
ByStickel

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Henrik.

I ended up driving through Gamelands #209, so I stopped and looked at the rules posted. I didn't see anything limiting, or even mentioning, bikes. I did see some newish hand-cut bench...
masterofnone

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only time I rode there years ago I ran into a sow and her cubs. Luckily she was not overly defensive of her young ones, or I would have left the woods on a stretcher (or in a body bag) Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: