Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
MTB Race Category rules?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TriassicDoc
El Presidente

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: MTB Race Category rules? Reply with quote

Is it ok to race in Cat 2 if you raced in Cat 1 last year? I am seeing this happen in the women's races with women who are competitive and have lap times akin to those in cat 1 and who have QOMs all over strava. It is somewhat discouraging.
jamesframes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For races that do not require a license there is more wiggle room. The general thought is that once you cat up you stay there. For USA cycling they require approval for becoming cat 1 and the same approval to then step down to cat 2:age fitness life changes are some reasons to move back.

For women I think it is harder as there is a much smaller race pool and bigger potentially bigger skill gaps as people move up just to have more people to race against.

Support your LBS-Bicycle Depot New Paltz NY
TriassicDoc
El Presidente

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm unhealthily obsessing about this, but I just read through the upgrade rules and found out that at least 1 of these ladies is in clear violation. I am reporting. It is a USAC series. Not only has this woman won every single cat 2 race in at least 1 race series, but she was also upgraded to cat 1 last year after she won every cat 2 race she entered last summer. It's just not right. Challenge yourself. How is winning every single race a challenge? Is it even racing anymore?
pokgirl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes peer pressure is completely appropriate, esp. when rules are not being enforced.

If this is happening under a day license or unsanctioned scenario, USA Cycling has no way to enforce the rules. That leaves it up to society to encourage the right behavior.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: