Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
catskills tour 7/21-7/24

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Group Rides
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lefty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:33 pm    Post subject: catskills tour 7/21-7/24 Reply with quote

going to ride 8 locations in catskills next week over 3 days camping out someplace along the way. planning on 3 2 hour rides/day. moderate pace on all rides. illinois, shaupeneak, and jockey hill tuesday. onteora, roundtop, and windham wednesday. walnut and lippman thursday with a hike/bike to the "hidden" ice caves in ellenville. only ridden half these places once. anybody want to hook up for a ride next week? reply to this post up until Monday. text/call 8457021110 during these 3 days as i won't have internet access.
jamesframes

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you driving to each places on a given day or riding to link them together?

If you are talking about Shingles Gulley to the ice caves you do not want to bring a bike. Also, if you have never been, it is not marked.

North South Lake may be a good one to add in.

Support your LBS-Bicycle Depot New Paltz NY
lefty

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

driving to each place on a given day. i am not a rock star....yet.

i know the ice caves well, but haven't been up there in a good 8yrs or so. doing some reconnaissance for a future group hike i am planning to lead. i want to see if an old hiking trail is still there that is filled with blueberries this time of year. planning to bike up the trail along the stream and across the meadow on the jeep trail. then ditch the bike and find the unmarked hiking trail that leads to the top. do some exploring of caves.

someone else was suggesting north/sputh lake to me last night. i know the hiking trails very well, but what trails can you actually ride? good singletrack?

thanks for the advice and help
lefty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had to postpone till tomorrow due to busted water heater the morning I was leaving. Will be in Catskills on routes stayed below if anyone want to meet up
jamesframes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heading to PA-enjoy all the good riding!

Support your LBS-Bicycle Depot New Paltz NY
lefty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my tour is done and I wanted to share my reviews For anyone who hasn't ridden some of these places. First though, I wanted to thank all the organizations that maintain these trails.

Most fun trails to ride anywhere in Hudson valley by far is walnut mtn in liberty. Fast flows pump track
Style. Like Stewart but on a mountain.

Most technical climb in Hudson valley is Illinois. That climb rocks... Pun intended.

Shaupeneak has some pretty views and fern meadows. Love that aqua trail .

Best place for 2 sick downhills is windham. Not the ski resort. Start at escarpment trailhead.

Best place to see a Black bear is roundtop. I saw 2 in separate places on 1 ride.

Lippmann, jockey hill , and onteora were great as well.

Happy riding.
Tim845

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems you've kicked ticks ass -cool/me too!

I like riding the North/South Lake trails. Either from Palenville or Scutt Rd. One day I will remember or realize how to connect to Roundtop.

I think youre calling the Elm Ridge trails the escarpment. Fwiw, more riding trails are being built there, but hikers want to limit bikes on the Escarpment trail itself.

Ive got to get to Walnut, so thx for the review.
lefty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually wasnt lymes. wish it was. story for another place. Yes you ar right - elm ridge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Group Rides All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: