Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hunter shoots at dead deer, hits second hunter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forest_biker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 9:36 pm    Post subject: Hunter shoots at dead deer, hits second hunter Reply with quote

On the first day of gun season.Rolling Eyes

Time to put away that brown jersey and white helmet!

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/story/news/local/2014/11/15/hunting-accident-deer-stormville/19095637/
tim

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This may have been one of customers who strolled in today with his 3xl camo sweatpants, gold chain, pink ring, and Gucci slippers, smelling like aqua velva, pastrami and deer piss.....and yes his first and last name ended in a vowel.
Tim845

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont ride within 10 miles of the TSP for a month!
GG
Veep

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my first and last names end is vowels...so do my dad's, and mom's!
chiefmatesam

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scary...only riding 909 in the dark. Altho someone may mistake me for a high tech deer...
GG
Veep

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's even more difficult for a hunter to tell whether you're a live or dead deer in the dark, Sam!
Bobg82

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You people are a little paranoid about hunting accidents. I'm 58, been driving for 40 yrs, hunting for 40yrs, and cycling for 25 or so. I hunt a lot during gun season on state land and have never had a safety problem with another hunter. I HAVE almost been hit on my road bike by a car once, which is one reason I took up mtn biking. And I've had two near fatal accidents in my car too, neither of which were my fault. I bet if you really looked into the statistics of hurt or killed cyclist nation wide versus hunting related injuries the higher number of incidents per 100K participants would be higher for cycling.

I'm sure what happened here is the guy taking the deer out had all camo on, if he had even a blaze orange hat on I bet this would not have happen. And yes I still don't mtn bike this time of year with a white or brown jersey on, or ride my road bike with dull colored jersey on either at anytime of day.
Tim845

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stay out of hunted lands during shotgun season in daytime & I surely dont trust cars at my back for self preservation. And I know theyre out to get me.
pinklewurst (tschneller)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not paranoid of hunters but I stay off hunted areas out of respect for their season....which is short compared to ours. But if I do ride...I wear my red.
chiefmatesam

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stay out of the multi use areas as well during the hunting season (with exception of 909, which I ride at EARLY in the morning during the week using lights). No need to tempt fate. Plus I agree with pinklewurst...only screws up the hunter's short season.

One thing I'd like to bring to Bob's attention though, is the stuff that isn't reported, such as hunters mistakenly shooting at mtn bikers (or hikers for that matter), but not hitting them. One guy last year was foaming at the mouth because it was turkey shot season, and someone popped a shot off near him (hit the water a few yards next to him).
Tim D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No excuse to shoot at a dead deer. Orange gear or not! You as a hunter are responsible for being SURE of your target AND beond. I stay out of the hunting grounds like others have stated. Give them there time, one month a year and we have the other 11. There is places to mountain bike like ferncliff and lippman that do not allow hunting.
Aswell as being a mountain biker I also hunt (private land) and am extremely cautious about being safe. Hunters need to keep in mind no deer is worth taking the chance of shooting and possibly killing someone. Much like a disrespectful mountain bike who may litter or build illegal trails giving all of us a bad rep. A stupid hunter with no commom sense or respect for others can give all participants in that sport a bad name. I feel most hunters are very safe and your probably not going to have an issue.
ProfessorCracker

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no hunting at blue.
In Pennsylvania, it's first buck, then doe season. Not open season. Making hunters identify which, rather than blasting at anything moving.
GG
Veep

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No hunting on Sunday in Jersey
Tim D

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or Massachusetts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: