Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Where to go with the wife for a two day bike trip?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
End-Ola

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:51 pm    Post subject: Where to go with the wife for a two day bike trip? Reply with quote

Howdie!

I'm a WMBAer that is attempting to plan a Wednesday-Friday mountain bike related trip with my wife on Nov 5-7. Drive up Wednesday after work and get 3-4 hours of riding in on Thursday and Friday. Then drive home Friday evening. Need places to eat and what not when not on the bike.

She is a very fit, technically skilled NOVICE mountain biker. She handles Graham Hills and 909 without much difficulty.

I had thought about New Paltz as it is scenic, not that far, and has wife appropriate stuff to do outside of biking. The riding I see online in New Paltz is primarily double track, which isn't what I'm looking for.

What are some recommendations for not overly technical single track trails with good mileage that we could drive to from Yorktown in under four hours?

Thanks

(Last resort is a road riding trip.)
Jim

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 20 minute ride north from 909 and you could hit Ferncliff in Rhinebeck with lots of good restaurants in the village. You could get 2 hours riding at Ferncliff. Then Jockey Hill in Kingston for 3-4 hours of riding on Friday across the Kingston-Rhinecliff Bridge and less than 20 minutes from Ferncliff. The Ulster County Fats can tell you were to eat and stay in Kingston. 15 minutes north of Jockey you have Woodstock with some good eats. Not sure on the lodging situation though.
jamesframes

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Paltz has rideable single track from town---hit me up and I could guide you.

There is beautiful doubletrack with singletrack options in the gunks...

Also outside of town is Shaupeneak- let's say 10 miles of very good trail (it sometimes gets leafblown even).

Windham area is great....elm ridge, roundtop, north south lake are all close by.

Support your LBS-Bicycle Depot New Paltz NY
kate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about staying in Woodstock or Saugerties-(check out the local bike store in either locale)...ride Jockey Hill on Thursday-walk around and dine in either town Thursday evening...drive thru New Paltz Friday morning on your way to ride at Stewart and you will be closer to home. Or ride in New Paltz on Friday....and eat at one of the pubs (but beware it will be Friday happy hour in a college town).

Have fun!
End-Ola

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick and helpful ideas. I'm going to pull the trigger on a B&B in New Paltz tomorrow. I'll figure out the riding plans between now and Wednesday.

The Thursday ride at Stewart is tempting. I know Steward fairly well already. Could easily do a DH40 or SSAP loop for kicks.
Galeo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just do not forget that Stewart is open for hunting. Bright colors will be a good idea. Crossbow will be open starting this weekend also.
End-Ola

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Galeo, EXCELLENT POINT!!
kate

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to stay in NP..then Lippman is a possibility, too.
Tim845

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No hunting @ Lippman and easy to navigate. Less windy than Minnewaska, considering the forecast.
GG
Veep

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get in touch with jamesframes or myself and we can definitely make you an excellent route map....and suggest the best restaurants in town...
End-Ola

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All setup for New Paltz. Forecast does not look good. 50% chance of rain both days and 56 & 45 as the highs for Thursday and Friday. Gonna be interesting. Hopefully the rain doesn't come until the weekend or at least is minimal.
End-Ola

PostPosted: Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are the trails going to be Friday if it rains all day on Thursday?
chiefmatesam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on where you ride...some places drain better/faster than others.
chiefmatesam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if this will reach you too late...I rode 909 this morning, and surprisingly, it was in good shape. It wasn't as sloppy as I thought it would be. It was slippery from wet leaves though...so couldn't crank it nearly as much as I'd have liked to.

Hope you and your wife have a great time!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: