Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Suggest a light

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluebug32

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Suggest a light Reply with quote

Since you guys frequent the trails here at night, I figure you're probably the best to ask about lights.

I've done a lot of research and borrowed a friend's NiteRider Blowtorch and Lume Strada. For some reason, the NR really hurt my head and felt too heavy, though I liked the light it cast. The Lume was great on my head, but the beam pattern felt a little narrow.

I'm also intrigued by the Cateye double and triple shot (though the triple is bar only). Anyone have any experience with either these? I like the longevity of an LED and the price. I don't mind spending $200-300ish on lights. I just want something good that I'll have for a long time and that won't require expensive parts if it breaks. I also like the helmet mount.

What setups is everyone using? Any recommendations?

Thanks!

Beth
burtondogs

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

I have not tried HID or LED yet.

Halogen seems to work good for me.
I use the Nightsun XC on my bars (10w flood / 35w spot)
and a Nightrider 10w helmet light.
I am very happy with this set up so far.

The helmet light is key, and was less then $100 bucks.
It feels heavy at first , but you get used to it. It helps to keep your helmet straps real tight.

I never really need to use the 35 watt spot , so the batteries last a while.

later
Jim
g60dude

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Suggest a light Reply with quote

I use the Light and Motion Arc HID light on my helmet. I use to run Halogen Marwi Night Pros on my handlebar and helmet. The HID is more money, but DEFINITELY worth it if you plan on doing any amount of night riding. The one HID covers more area and is brighter than when i was running the two halogen. The HID is a little heavier than your standard light so i had to wear my helmet a tad bit tighter to keep it from vibrating. Another nice feature with the HID, it only takes about 2 hours or so to recharge where the Halogen one takes a good 12 hours. I ride all year round where at least once a week i will use my light. The HID was around $300. And Im seeing the Marwis on sale for the low $100,s. So it really just depends on what you want, how much you are gonna use it and how much you want to spend. Conclusion, both the Marwi hallogens and my new Light and Motion I was happy with. But like someone else mentioned , the helmet light is the key light.........want light where you head turns

raybag

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the NiteRider Classic Plus halogen handlebar mount. Three settings, 12W, 20W, 32W provide lots of light and plenty of run time. I have also used a NiteRider Storm HID helmet mount. Excellent light but a little heavy for my noggin'. I found that I had to really crank down my helmet and would give myself headaches. Having a helmet light would definitely be a plus along with the bar mount if it's light enough weight wise. Even though I lose a little light when going around turns I think that if your light is bright enough you could get away with just the bar mount.
bluebug32

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I finally made a decision after weeks of research and bugging everyone around me Wink Nashbar has a 20% off coupon right now, so I bought the Light and Motion Arc NiMH. Should be good and that means I'll be contacting you Cats for a nightride soon!

Thanks again for your help.

Beth
Tim845

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool...I recommend HID, even though its $. Its so bright that its safer. Still need to carry a small light for back up or tinkering.
Bikegeek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Nightsun turned into a black hole after many years. So, I went to MTB Review, clicked lights and then by ranking:

http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/lights/index_byrating.shtml

See who's at the top Question

I bought the - http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Lights/product_125129.shtml

It like day out there Laughing
Kevin

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just let everyone else buy HID's and bask in their light with your halogen.
bluebug32

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin wrote:
Just let everyone else buy HID's and bask in their light with your halogen.

Ha! I've definitely contemplated doing that! I just got a new job, so I thought it was time to spoil myself with some mega-lumens Cool
shizzle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just purchased a cateye triple shot LED and also own a niterider storm light. The LED light throws about 3/4 of the lumens of the HID and it is a
white light similar to the HID. My HID has crapped out a couple of times on the trail with cable issues due to poorly engineered connections. The cateye has a solid twist in connection. I am comparing apples to oranges in a way here because the HID is helmet mount and the LED is bar mounted. But, dollar for dollar, expected lifetimes and weight, LED lights are the bomb
trekkie

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: lights Reply with quote

just got a nightrider 10w LED
was'nt to many bills Rolling Eyes
works great
first time riding at night
gota love it
do you guys use helmet or handlebar mount or both Question
charlie
bluebug32

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woohoo! My light finally arrived and it looks really bright! I think I'll act deviant this weekend and sneak into Stewart for a night ride.

And, in response to the previous question, I like to use a light on my helmet primarily.
g60dude

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: lights Reply with quote

trekkie wrote:
just got a nightrider 10w LED
was'nt to many bills Rolling Eyes
works great
first time riding at night
gota love it
do you guys use helmet or handlebar mount or both Question
charlie

Ive never ridden with an LED before. Ive been told they are brighter than halogen and not as bright as HID. For me when I ran halogen I had lights on both my helmet and my handlebars. Now that Im running HID, i just have the one on my helmet. I prefer the light to be where im looking not where my handlebars are pointing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: