Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
rough shifting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jesse845

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: rough shifting Reply with quote

I am new to doing my own maintenance on my drivetrain. I have new XT shifters that I can't quite get dialed in. At first, the chain wouldn't shift onto the largest cog, and kept dropping off of the smallest cog. I was able to fix this by adjusting the set screw on the rear derailleur. I adjusted the barrel adjuster on the rear shifter to get it to shift smooth in my basement. My problem is that when I get it into the woods, it shifts fine until I'm crawling up a hill in the granny gear, then the chain shifts to a smaller cog without me telling it to. Does this mean that there is too much tension on the cable? Would backing off on the tension with the barrel adjuster fix this?

Problem 2: Again, the front shifter / derailleur works nice and smooth in the basement. Once I'm on the trail, when shifting from the small chainring to the middle, I have to shift, then push a little bit farther on the shifter for the chain to shift completely up to the middle chain ring. Is this a cable tension issue also? This is a pretty minor issue, but it still irks me.

Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks.
smctigue

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first problem could be one of these things or some combo of them:

Not enough tension or your high stop is not allowing the derailleur to travel out far enough. Whacked derailleur hanger.
Jesse845

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll play around with it some more before I bring it to Mario.
ProfessorCracker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't rule out bent (even slightly) del. hanger.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: