Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Is Poughkeepsie too far?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluebug32

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Is Poughkeepsie too far? Reply with quote

Hello. I'm not a member, but am interested in finding a group to ride with. The only problem is that I live in Highland and work in Poughkeepsie. I see that most of the group rides start right after work in Kingston mainly. Are there any opportunities for people farther south? Are the members mostly from Kingston?

Thanks.

Beth
g60dude

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Poughkeepsie too far? Reply with quote

bluebug32 wrote:
Hello. I'm not a member, but am interested in finding a group to ride with. The only problem is that I live in Highland and work in Poughkeepsie. I see that most of the group rides start right after work in Kingston mainly. Are there any opportunities for people farther south? Are the members mostly from Kingston?

Thanks.

Beth

Defintely not too far.......We have members all throughout the Hudson Valley. I'm pretty sure other will chime in but there are group rides over at 909 off the Taconic and also the trails behind the Hyde Park Brewery. I also know a few members, including myself who lives in Kingston heads over to Vassar once in awhile

bluebug32

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Poughkeepsie too far? Reply with quote

That's great to hear! I tend to ride Vassar, the 909 and Stewart the most. I've actually never been to Jockey Hill despite the fact that I consider Overlook to be my local bike shop.

When's the best time to join the club? Should I wait until spring? I'm eager to help with trail mantainance too.

Beth
g60dude

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Poughkeepsie too far? Reply with quote

bluebug32 wrote:
That's great to hear! I tend to ride Vassar, the 909 and Stewart the most. I've actually never been to Jockey Hill despite the fact that I consider Overlook to be my local bike shop.

When's the best time to join the club? Should I wait until spring? I'm eager to help with trail mantainance too.

Beth

You'll have to check out Jockey Hill sometime, or right down the road is Onteora Lake which is very similar to Jockey Hill.

Regarding the best time to join the club, Ill let one of the officers in the club answer that. But if I recall, the dues are yearly, not anniversary, so the 2007 dues will be due come March/April. There is some club stuff that goes on during the winter, but not nearly as much as the rest of the year.

bluebug32

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Poughkeepsie too far? Reply with quote

I see there's a meeting Thurs. Would that be worth driving up for, or should I wait until Spring?
crankboy53

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Poughkeepsie too far? Reply with quote

bluebug32 wrote:

Beth

Hey Beth, you're always welcome to join the Wednesday night Stewart group at Barron Road at 6 PM. I can hook you up with lights to try for the measly sum of a six pack. Jockey Hill will be our fall stomping grounds until hunting is over at Stewart. Very possible we're going to Jockey this Sunday...are you and Robert interested? If so, shoot me an email at the "Horse"...
g60dude

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Is Poughkeepsie too far? Reply with quote

bluebug32 wrote:
I see there's a meeting Thurs. Would that be worth driving up for, or should I wait until Spring?

From Highland, thats not that far of a drive to get a feel for what the clubs about. I know this months meeting we will be discussing our annual Holiday Bikes for Kids, the Xmas Ride, Stewart Unit Management Plan, and Rail Trail updates. The meeting usually is an hour and a half or so. Being the end of the season is near, its always a toss up how many people show up at the meeting, but things will still be discussed.

raybag

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Beth-

Usually if you join the club say after September, your dues are good for the following year, in this case all of 2007.

The club meetings are a good place to meet some of the members as well as hear about what we have planned for the future. Definitely worth the drive from Highland. (not to mention free beer)

As for group rides; Tuesday nights have been our regular ride for quite a number of years now but we usually do some Sundays too. One Sunday a month has been our routine and we go to places like 909, Stewart, Bash Bish, Roundtop, etc. This year it seems like we slowed down on the Sundays for some reason, maybe the rain, but hopefully next year we'll have a full slate.

Maybe I'll see you at the meeting.
Happy Trails
-Ray
bluebug32

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raybag wrote:
Hi Beth-

Usually if you join the club say after September, your dues are good for the following year, in this case all of 2007.

The club meetings are a good place to meet some of the members as well as hear about what we have planned for the future. Definitely worth the drive from Highland. (not to mention free beer)

As for group rides; Tuesday nights have been our regular ride for quite a number of years now but we usually do some Sundays too. One Sunday a month has been our routine and we go to places like 909, Stewart, Bash Bish, Roundtop, etc. This year it seems like we slowed down on the Sundays for some reason, maybe the rain, but hopefully next year we'll have a full slate.

Maybe I'll see you at the meeting.
Happy Trails
-Ray

Thanks. The club sounds great. I'll see what Thurs. looks like. It's been a crazy week; if I don't make it up there thurs., I'll definitely keep in touch and hit a meeting in the future.

Beth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: