Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
single speed conversion

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
exbmxer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: single speed conversion Reply with quote

I've got an old (12 years?) stiff Jamis mtn bike that was pretty low end even in its day, but I love it's small, light aluminum frame. So, I've decided to built it up a bit as a fun thing to play around with in the urban landscape and cruise the carriage roads. I just started with the threadless stem conversion and beefier bars. Next I'm thinking I want to turn it into a single speed. Then, maybe nicer wheels next spring. No mounts for disc brakes so I'll just stick with calipers. But for now, just thinking about single speed conversion.

So first, I've been reading that the Surly conversion kit is the way to go. Cheaper spacers and tensioners don't seem to work as well for lining up the chain with the front, nor do they hold up to as much punishment. Hate paying more money than I need to, but some say you'll end up buying the Surly kit anyway cuz the others don't work or if they do they won't last. Anyone care to weigh in?

Second, it seems as if the Surly conversion kit and most others only provide the parts needed to lose the rear derailleur. Some provide the rear cog, but Surly's kit does not. But neither gives you spacers and ring for the front. Is this correct? Is it likely that I won't be able to use any of my front rings as my new single speed ring? Or perhaps I won't want to because the sizing will likely be off? Which brings me to my third and final question...

Given the kind of riding I'm talking about, what would you suggest for the sizing for the front ring and rear cog? I'm reading anywhere between 42T and 48T for the front, 16T to 18T in the back. The ring and cog I think is also where I can go a little cheaper.

Appreciate any thoughts on this weighty matter.
slave2bacon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ENO rear hub. More money but it wont let you down and looks way better than a springy thingy on the back. I'd say go 18/42 to start. ENO hubs have easily chageable cogs if you get tough. You want something less than 50/50 gear ratio to start or you will suffer on the hills.
SSCarve

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SS is certainly my favorite cycling. But its unlikely you will ever truly be happy with any gear ratio that fits both riding styles. Local carriage roads 34/17-18. Urban 40-/ 18 fish. Just my opinion though. Good luck!
HVmtb

PostPosted: Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget about your LBS to set it up for you. Beacon Cycles used to advertise about SS conversion on their website, so i'm sure they can still hook you up.

www.HVmtb.com

The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine. ~John Howard
exbmxer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, the tensioner is dorky. The Eno hub is killer, but if that's the way I'm going to go though, seems like it'd be better to have a whole new wheel built than put a nice hub in what is probably a mediocre wheel. Yeah, I might talk with Tom C. Thanks for the advice.
masterofnone

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done the surly singulator thing, it works and it's cheap. I also built up a wheel with the eno hub, it's pricey but gorgeous and blindingly simple to set up. I have it lying around collecting dust, if you want it lemme know.
Kevin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The eno hub is dope, and I had extensive use of the disc version.

The hub is a piece of art, bearings smooth as anything. I had to do a lot of finishing work on the ecentric disc mount in order to get the lobes to rotate freely. Also, I had to file some of it away to clear my rotor bolts. Until I did that stuff, adjusting the brake caliper was a major pain.

Ride on!
Riceball

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin wrote:
The eno hub is dope, and I had extensive use of the disc version.

The hub is a piece of art, bearings smooth as anything. I had to do a lot of finishing work on the ecentric disc mount in order to get the lobes to rotate freely. Also, I had to file some of it away to clear my rotor bolts. Until I did that stuff, adjusting the brake caliper was a major pain.

Ride on!

I have that hub! May be time to move it along after two years of sitting in a box...

PM if interested
Kevin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great opportunity for you! Get in touch with Riceball Smile
qkru45

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Eno hub is killer, but if that's the way I'm going to go though, seems like it'd be better to have a whole new wheel built than put a nice hub in what is probably a mediocre wheel. Yeah, I might talk with Tom C. Thanks for the advice.???
Tim845

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2015 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spammers passed a milestone a few months ago. Now the schmucks read text! Keeping our webmaster busy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: