Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Windham XC Mtn Bike Race (Race 2 NYS Series)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chiefmatesam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Windham XC Mtn Bike Race (Race 2 NYS Series) Reply with quote

Hey all, looking like my schedule is changing enough that I'll be able to make this race Saturday...has anyone raced it before? I scoured the websites and couldn't find a course distance...also does the race to clockwise or counter-clockwise? Looks like it'll be some good hill climbing!!
jamesframes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

something like...

http://connect.garmin.com/page/activity/activity.faces;jsessionid=E352D1E360AB315196EB39305BBC391C?activityId=47425625&actionMethod=page%2Factivity%2Factivity.xhtml%3AuserSwitcher.switchSystem&cid=91257

Pulled from another site regarding 2010 course: "The official map makes it 5.21km = 3.25 miles. There's a prologue that starts somewhere in town and goes up to the ski area, didn't ride it, have no idea about it other than the end of it exists on the map.

I went up there Sat. with a friend and met up with more riders there. We did 5 laps. I was doing 25-30 minute laps. I was told to expect the elites at 15-20 minutes a lap!

The course really hits hard- lots of climbing, and then steep descents. If you look at the profiles it appears that the xc course is steeper descending than the downhill course. The climb is broken into sections so there is a chance to recover somewhat on the way up in between grinds but i suspect there will be almost constant attacking going up and just holding position going down. It all happens very fast.

The big climbs all happen on fire/access roads with good traction, there are a few sharp short singletrack climbs with questionable traction. The singletrack is not that technical with any boggy or muddy areas being spanned by plank bridges. In my opinion there are only 3 sections that are technically challenging, all on downhill sections: 1 because of grapefruit sized loose rocks and the other 2 because the trail corkscews back on itself in steep descents with loose dirt."

Support your LBS-Bicycle Depot New Paltz NY
cdub

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the DH and SuperD courses? Anyone run either before?
chiefmatesam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jamie, I appreciate it. As silly as it sounds with my fat ass, grinding up the hills is actually a strength of mine. Plus the enduro type bike going down might actually help.
qdawgg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you wanted to see a strava link also I could link my ride from the other day.

James - 5 laps at 25-30 mins, that's great. I raced last year but at Cat 3, so pre-riding 3 laps this year for Cat 2 had me exhausted. Guess I need to do a lot more work than I have been Razz
jamesframes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never raced/ridden there-pulled link from elsewhere. I have only watched-

Support your LBS-Bicycle Depot New Paltz NY
BillB3
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is XC course on Strava: http://app.strava.com/segments/678836

Lots of non-technical climbing and fast descents! The prologue Jamie mentioned was only for the UCI pro race...us normal folk started right in front of the lodge by the chairlifts.

I climbed up to the top and did the GES DH course last year during my preride last year. Climb was horrible, but DH was great and not too scary even on my XC bike:

http://app.strava.com/segments/1596708
cdub

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillB3 wrote:
I climbed up to the top and did the GES DH course last year during my preride last year. Climb was horrible, but DH was great and not too scary even on my XC bike:

That's a shame Very Happy

Thanks for the link...
ProfessorCracker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: ??? Reply with quote

Jamesframes! You've never ridden there? You should do a couple loops just to check it out. It really puts into perspective what the pros do.When you see their lap time under 15 mins...

It's fun to do that race at least once, but it's very $$$ for such a short race. But ridding the same course as the pros adds to the whole show.

Last year (and this year)I'm hitting the 6-pack, which was fantastic.
BillB3
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windham Pro XCT 2013 - course preview from Planète Sports Magog on Vimeo.

BillB3
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XC Results: http://www.allsportsevents.com/Results/mountain_bike_results/WindhamUSProXCChamps2013.html
chiefmatesam

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just looked at the results for my AG...it's killing me because I thinik I could've done well. Stupid business trips to Canada...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: