Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
shipping a bike ( to OZ )

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joshuacoyote

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: shipping a bike ( to OZ ) Reply with quote

HI-anyone have any experience shipping a bike overseas? Recommend a box and or company?

Thanks !
O&S

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked into it to and from France...not a cheap deal regardless how you do it. Are you flying with it? That might make it a bit cheaper, taking it as over sized baggage. If you do that be sure to check airline baggage fees to get it into the cheapest category. They often have a different rate for "over sized" baggage than for "sporting goods".

Other considerations are the box. Going all the way to OZ I would suggest a hard case....but then you have to store it while there. Cardboard has a lot of hours to bounce around a cargo hold and permit damage to the bike.

If going to major locations what about renting a bike and avoiding the whole shipping thing? Regardless of where you are going a hub through Sydney is very likely so you would have a chance to look into rentals there.

If it must be shipped then DHL is probably the best option to and from OZ. Fedex and UPS do not have a very big presence there. Also look into getting a Carnet on it before hand so you don't have to pay import duties. The Aussies are very particular and protective of their revenue flows.

Europe had services that would ship bikes globally, I found their rates to be about $450 a single direction in 2010.

Good luck!!!
Kevin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard many tales of woe about shipping anything to or from Oz: Customs, time, and cost issues.

Find shipping companies that service where you need to get it to. Check the rates of various box sizes to find the smallest combination possible. Cutting a box down an extra .5" can save you major $$ if you're right on the edge of the cubic inches threshold. Hopefully, it is not cost prohibitive for you.

For what it's worth, I've spent 70 euro on average for shipping costs on just frames/forks from Europe, sent by their mail system. So, safe to say, it's going to be well north of $100. You should also check rates with your airline to see what they charge for a bike box. That may be your best bet...

Good luck!
slave2bacon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMBA members get deals shipping bikes through this company. One more reason to join IMBA!

http://www.bikeflights.com/?isc=imba

I have flown with my bike internationally without any issue with standard bike box. They are easy to find for the return. Less ware and tare than shipping by UPS actually. Airlines have (or had) a loophole for oversized items. If it was a bike they charged about $150 each way. But if it was something else in a bike box, they charged only $50 each way. So my bike was a harp and it got the lower rate. You may not be so lucky so call ahead for your airlines rules.
kate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't ya just click your heels a few times to get to OZ?
joshuacoyote

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: shipping a bike ( to OZ ) Reply with quote

Thanks for all your input. One company wants 1300.00 um, does that come with fries?
dragging the bike to the airport might be the best way.
cdub

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister races all over the country and overseas (just came back from Japan). She declares the packed bike box as a business display or trade samples and there is usually no, or a small, charge.
DrDave

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: shipping a bike to OZ Reply with quote

I have a hard case that you're welcome to borrow although it is sort of a monstrous thing.687-7219
DrDave

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:57 am    Post subject: shipping a bike to OZ Reply with quote

I have a hard case that you're welcome to borrow although it is sort of a monstrous thing.687-7219
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: