Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Rail Trail Work Day Inventory Saturday April 14

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Trails
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoneToTheDogs?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Rail Trail Work Day Inventory Saturday April 14 Reply with quote

Sheldon Quimby of the D&H Canal Heritage Corridor Alliance has asked us to help out with a Trail Inventory project this coming Saturday at 9:00 am beginning at the Super 8 on Washington ave in Kingston.. If anyone is interested in seeing the Inventory Form, I can e-mail it to you as an attachment. The inventory is a necessary step in the planning process for Trail Coordinators in order to realize funding and support for rail trails in Ulster County. He describes the process below. Please let me know if you are able to participate.

Thanks,

Russell

Hi all, a work day has been scheduled for Saturday, April 14th, if the weather holds out. We had planned a trail inventory work day on March 17th, but got 14 inches of snow. Will try again this weekend. I have prepared inventory forms to work with. I am planning on doing two inventories Saturday. Both inventories will help us provide technical assistance and support to the municipalities and communities involved. The first is the trail section from Super 8 Motor Inn to Route 209 Hurley on the Ulster Savings Bank and Central Hudson Right of Ways, about 1.7 miles. The City of Kingston is going to administer a federal pass thru state grant to secure right of ways and upgrade the O&W Rail Trail. The second trail section is from Leggett Road in Marbletown to the Marbletown/Rochester Town Line (just past Rest Plaus Road) The County has passed a resolution to turn over this section to the Town of Marbletown. Deeds and final paperwork is pending some survey descriptions. This section is about 2.5 miles more or less. We really need two teams to do it all in one day. But if we don't get both done, we can return another day. I would like to meet at the Super 8 at 9:00 A.M. Saturday morning to do the Kingston to Hurley Section. And if we have enough people, to also send a second team out to Leggett Road to start the second inventory. I am attaching a copy of an inventory work sheet which we can use do document the inventory. If anyone has a digital camera and can come, please feel free to bring the camera. It may be wet in some areas even in the best of weather this time of year. Dress accordingly. If it is bad weather again, we will cancel. Thanks for your help. Sheldon

Last edited by GoneToTheDogs? on Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Kevin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be there, but definitely a little late.
GoneToTheDogs?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Kevin. I'll be there, as well. The group should be easy to find as they proceed down the Rail Trail from the Super 8.

Russell
GoneToTheDogs?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On April 14, 2007 Kevin and I represented Fats in the Cats in completing an Inventory of the O&W Rail Trail with Sheldon Quimby and some other volunteers between the Super 8 on Washington Avenue and the D&H Rail Trail along 209 in Hurley. And Satchi the Standard Poodle was able to help too. It was a very productive morning with written, photographic, and video documentation of the condition and features of the trail noted. The length of trail was wheeled and measured, noting specifically where issues were found.This will be the area where we will dedicate the $5000 allocated to the club in the NYS Budget as arranged by Senator Bonacic. The D&H Rail Trail Alliance now has a good idea about what type of work needs to be completed. And after that productive morning, Kevin and I were able to join 11 others for that great Saturday afternoon ride in Ruby. Thanks for all of your help, Kevin.

Additional photos can be found in the Photo Gallery Gone to the Dogs? in the Trail Work days album.

Russell
BillB3
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Russell & Kevin! I plan to be there on June 2nd(?) for the trail work, hopefully we can have a better turn out.

--Bill
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Trails All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: