Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Old Trek Mtn Bike ok for Ninham?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chiefmatesam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Old Trek Mtn Bike ok for Ninham? Reply with quote

Hey all, I wanted to ask the pros for their opinion...I'm trying to get a friend of mine to come up from CT to ride Ninham with me. His trek is an older mtn bike (maybe late 90's, very early 2000's). Not sure what the fork is...but it has v-brake system. I'm sure the fork hasn't been serviced in a looong time...but does anyone think that combined with v-brake would make it unsafe for him to ride the tower side at Ninham? Probably wouldn't ride the red trail down...but most likely take blue up to the bail-out trail, head up the road, and down blue again.
paetersen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The quality of parts (trim level) is more important than the age of the bike. A hooptied out 820 with alivio, not so much. A 950 with full XT, absolutely. Also important is the general tune of the bike.

A lot of us mountain biked before suspension and disc brakes, I don't remember it slowing us down.
Tim845

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find disc's more useful for the parking lot side trails. You might mention that he wear some shoes that he can hike in if needed -hard soled spd's are my last choice there.
chiefmatesam

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys! We'll do the tower side probably (I've gotten to know it fairly well), as I'm not quite ready to go explore the lot side with someone until I've been able to explore it more myself (never been there). I'm glad you think he should be ok...I've only ridden discs and a good fork shock as an adult. Last time I was without suspension and v-brakes, I was 14 and I jumped and went down stuff not caring if I could stop or not. I guess I've become a wuss in my somewhat older age...
jmagik172

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Have seen this ridden on a 1998 Schwinn Moab 3 Reply with quote

Just as a comparison, I recently lent out a Schwinn Moab 3 with V-Brakes and all XT components circa 1998 to a buddy and he has ridden the tower trails 3 times. He is a novice biker who started last September. He is riding flats though so keep that in mind as there are some sections that would probably have killed him had he been clipped in!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: