Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Leg Guards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lilmort

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Leg Guards Reply with quote

I noticed in the pics of Robdamanii, Forestbiker and Bluebug32 (at Stewart) that you guys were all wearing guards. I've recently started biking (within the past 3-4 months)Very Happy . Though I have no fear of crashing (I do it alot)Shocked , I'm finding I have very few areas left on the lower extremeties left unscathed. Could you or anyone else give me a heads up on where you got them and if there's any particular brand better than another?
bike this

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you have many decisions ahead of you. There
are many kinds of "protection" out there. Depends on
how much and what kind of coverage your looking for.
Just check your local bike shop.... Very Happy
robdamanii

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Leg Guards Reply with quote

lilmort wrote:
I noticed in the pics of Robdamanii, Forestbiker and Bluebug32 (at Stewart) that you guys were all wearing guards. I've recently started biking (within the past 3-4 months)Very Happy . Though I have no fear of crashing (I do it alot)Shocked , I'm finding I have very few areas left on the lower extremeties left unscathed. Could you or anyone else give me a heads up on where you got them and if there's any particular brand better than another?

I bought the Fox Launch knees and Fox 911 elbow pads at my LBS up here in Geneva NY.

Bikeway carries Fox, but not sure what else. I personally like the fit of the Fox pads, but each person has a different feel. Best thing to do is come and ride with us and we'll all swap around our pads and see which one you like.
bluebug32

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two different kinds of pads from 661. I kind of like the full wrap kind (like was in the pic) because they don't slip and don't chafe. The plastic ones can slip, but are cooler in the summer (I actually like the wrap-arounds for this time of year, fall, and for night riding because they act as a pseudo-leg warmer too). The best is to try them out or get a recommendation at your LBS. They're definitely a good investment though.
Forest_biker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Pads Reply with quote

I started wearing knee/shin pads after seeing a friend of mine's kneecap was knocked two inches from where it should be after a minor fall. Shocked His was a painful and slow recovery.

The price and sometime extra heat of a set of pads is still cheaper the a trip to the emergency room.
The pads also ward of thorns and briars in overgrown areas too.

I've had five or more different kinds and found that price doesn't always equal comfort.

A good place to check on multiple opinions is http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/pads/

I've always been fond of the Dainese brand pads, but also currently have a set of Rockgardn and Roach Rally Pads.
lilmort

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Leg Guards Reply with quote

Hey- Thanks to all of you for the insight and advice. I haven't had a chance to check the LBS yet, but I will ASAP.
Bawitdaba

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just listed a set of Rockgardn LZMX Knee/Shin guards on eBay, PM me if you're interested.

Check em out here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=020&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=300116616696&rd=1&rd=1

Support our heros who have sacrificed for our nation
http://www.fallenheroesfund.org
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: