Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Onteora Lake

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Trails
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim845

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:27 pm    Post subject: Onteora Lake Reply with quote

It was great to finally set wheels to Onteora Lake again today!

Lets spread the word to sign in every time, like we did today Smile
Its important the Rangers get an idea of how many riders use the great trails there!

The box is located 1/8 of a mile past the inner lot on the doubletrack near the lake, on the right.
I am concerned to see some new Foot Trail signs on multi use trail. Info anyone?

The trails are in good shape but need some pruning. Be careful, wear glasses. Trailday?

Be careful when entering the lot, the hole in the picture is 30 feet from 28

bike this

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a hole.. Exclamation
bluebug32

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard great things about that place. How difficult is it? What is it comparable to in the area?
g60dude

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluebug32 wrote:
I've heard great things about that place. How difficult is it? What is it comparable to in the area?
It's a rockier version of Jockey Hill. Maybe someone else can compare it to someplace else, but I can't think of any trails like either of the two. Onteora Lake has tons of jagged rocks to weed thru on basically every trail. For the most part, everything is rideable. I find it really has helped me with my technical skills on tight single track. There are a couple "shoots" where its steep, no room for error that Ive only seen a few people ride. If you guys ever want to come up this way, post it, I'm pretty sure you'll get a few responses from people willing to show you around

bluebug32

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g60dude wrote:
bluebug32 wrote:
It's a rockier version of Jockey Hill. Maybe someone else can compare it to someplace else, but I can't think of any trails like either of the two. Onteora Lake has tons of jagged rocks to weed thru on basically every trail. For the most part, everything is rideable. I find it really has helped me with my technical skills on tight single track. There are a couple "shoots" where its steep, no room for error that Ive only seen a few people ride. If you guys ever want to come up this way, post it, I'm pretty sure you'll get a few responses from people willing to show you around

Sounds good. Thanks! I've actually never been to Jockey Hill either!
bikejunkie

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluebug32 wrote:
g60dude wrote:
bluebug32 wrote:

Sounds good. Thanks! I've actually never been to Jockey Hill either!

Come up for a Tuesday ride. You can get the grand tour! Very Happy
miatagal96

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love these trails!!!

A group of us from the Albany/Saratoga region came down for the first time yesterday and rode pretty much everything on the bikereg map. The trails are great and dry!!! We figure we'll have snow at Grafton at least until May. (it's snowing here right now)

Can hardly wait to try Jockey Hill and hopefully go on a club ride sometime.

Jen
Tim845

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then its a safe bet you'll enjoy Jockey Hill, and it drains well! Wink
Riding @ Grafton Lakes is high on my list...is there a good map and camping?
miatagal96

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No camping at Grafton, but there is a lake (or big pond) to swim in.

Here's the best map I've found on-line. http://www.skyhighadventures.com/GLORT.htm Right under 'register online' is a course map. It's missing my favorite trail. Water Tower trail starts from Long Pond Trail right under where it says 'Water Tower Trail'. It meanders around until you hit the gravel road that shows on the map. When you hit the gravel road, backtrack about 30 feet and there's another trail that meanders around and hits Little Johnny's Trail. Spruce Bog is cut off at the bottom of the map, but it's a fun rocky trail that can be wet. It's fairly straight since it's a x-c trail. If you go east on that trail, bear right at the only intersection and turn left at the gravel road when you hit the end. Then, the first right is Chet Bell...a fun downhill snowmobile trail. Long Pond Trail (not road) is the rockiest, most technical trail--we'll ride the north half but not the south half.

Check out www.capitalmtb.org for Grafton rides. There are often Friday evening and Sunday rides there over the summer. Come and ride--there's no membership--everyone is welcome!!
Tim845

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info...
...See you on the boards and/or on the trails!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Trails All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: