Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Adventure Time Bikepack Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesframes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Adventure Time Bikepack Thread Reply with quote

So took my rig out for my first bike packing adventure. I had planned to start in Gardiner and end on Black Bear road near Claryville. A few miles in, I realized that was a bit ambitious.

Set up: Big Agnes Fly Creek tent on the bars.
Non winter sleeping bag in a dry sack on the rear.
Pack on my back with sleeping pad, essential gear, and another dry bag stuffed with clothes and such.

Route: Gardiner to Aumick road (Paved) Aumick to Smiley road (dirt), smiley to ellenville (dirt), ellenville to lundy rd (paved), lundy rd to campspot (dirt) 35 miles

Overall a success for sure. Mileage comes slow. Climbing is super tough with the gear. I am not a fan of the heavy back pack, never quite sat right. Looking forward to the next outing...

return: campspot to 209, to 44/55, to minnewaska, carriageway to trapps, 44//55 to gardiner 21 miles

Support your LBS-Bicycle Depot New Paltz NY

Last edited by jamesframes on Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
Kevin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done!

On my way down to Ellenville this AM, I saw you sloggin' it in the rain, coming north, just before your climb up 44/55.
burtondogs

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:29 pm    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

Dude....that sounds like a wicked trip.

I want to do a trip like that just with a B.O.B.
Smiley road looks like some tuff pedaling.
You did some serious climbing.
paetersen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet man! Glad to see you worked it out. I'll have to get out there too. Been looking at bivy sack & tarp instead of tent. With 2 people to spread the communal equipment around I think it would be easier.
DrDave

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:54 am    Post subject: bikepacking Reply with quote

at least get a front rack to to get some of the stuff out of your backpack! I've got a bob you can borrow if you want but the bob by itself adds about 18 lbs, its one with shocks and it isnt worth it unless you have a lot to carry.
Bud

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe if you didn't include that grill in your backpack it wouldn't be so heavy. That could have caused the unseating problem.

Laughing nice job !!!
oh_blinding_light

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a fun ride.

Take it from somebody who has done a 3000 mile bike packing trip ... less is better.

Ditch the tent. Mosquito netting and a small plastic tarp or poncho will work on really wet nights, though it will be a tad damp. On dry nights the netting is enuff.

A rack and panniers would also help by keeping your center of gravity lower. The lower center of gravity makes riding over sketchy stuff easier.

The kind of rack that clamps on your seatpost works pretty well, but may wiggle around a bit (especially on Smiley Rd Smile ). Most hardtails have provisions for a real rack that bolts to the frame. I bought a really light sturdy aluminum rack for $30 last from Walmart last summer.

On bike packing trips you should try to never have anything on your back but a shirt or sunscreen. I guess a camelback would be OK.

When I started my long bike packing trip I had over 50 pounds of gear. When I hit the Pacific I was down to something like 15 pounds of gear and most of that was heavy steel 70's era bike tools. I managed to camp in the Rockies for nearly a week with just that amount of stuff.

It may not be as important on short trips, but on long trips I'd rather be cold and miserable a couple of nights than carry an extra 10 pounds for many long miles.

If you are planning another trip any time soon and would like to see the difference panniers and a rack make, I have a setup I could loan out.

OBL
TriassicDoc
El Presidente

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, sounds like a lot of fun!
jamesframes

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's adventure time again! Heading out solo this weekend for round II of bikepacking...

A loose plan is formed to drive to the Gore Mtn area, ditch the car, and ride a big loop of dirt roads, trail, and pavement. Route begins with a 40 mile dirt roadthrough Moose River Plains home to "The Black Fly Challenge", then into Black River Wilderness Area...

Setup:
*Well, different bike: 26er epic...dual suspension
*Still rocking a sleeping bag, smaller dry bag though
*tent, fly, footprint all on handlebars
*Picked up a small frame bag from Relevate-holds some goodies but leaves no room for bottles
* smaller pack on my back-heavier that I hoped for. 3L water, some clothes, grub, and cooking supplies...

Should be 2-3 nights....follow up to come...

jamesframes

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrival at Cedar River Flow on Thursday night.

Began trek on Moose River Plains Road. Tackled about 15 miles before darkness arrived. Found a little spot off the road to call home.

Veeerrryyy cold night. Slept poorly. Woke the next morning to get going early hoping to hit town for breakfast.

Just out of frame was an awesome coyote that was walking towards me on this road.

Town of Inlet, NY...missed breakfast-had brunch instead

Trail track crossing

Beginning adk ST

This trail comes with its own pool

After a long day, camping at the trailhead-black flies and mosquitoes stay out! I almost crapped my pants this night as I heard a creature outside of my tent walking very slowly. Bear??

Well very tough experience--I like to think of it more as scratching an itch that needed to be scratched, rather than calling it fun. Nat Geo maps are good, but suck at roads. A electronic GPS for hiking or something is a must have. With so much effort needed to do anything, exploring or taking chanes on sides roads is a no no. Also, never again will I have a pack...just plain bad. Beautiful area for sure! Without knowing shortcuts, I was forced to take longer, more established routes.

Stats:
Day 1: 15 miles dirt road

Day 2: 25 miles dirt road, 20 miles paved, 11 miles ST.

Day 3: 105 miles paved (after 36 miles, I stashed my gear and went light weight in order to reach my car in 10 hours)

Downhill dave

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a great time! I been wanting to do this for a while now. Here is a great article I have saved that might help your learning curve a bit.

http://adventurecycling.org/features/ultralight.cfm
Henrik

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

105 paved miles on a mountain bike? Insane!
bike this

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to know how you got the grill to stay on your rear rack..??
jamesframes

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Westchester Enzo joined in the fun for this third time out---what a better place to start than my front door! Crossed the street to the Wallkill Railtrail.

Thanks OSI for the donation-heading towards Duck Pond to head over into High Falls via secret stash.

Once in High Falls, eventually hopped on Marbletown/Hurley Railtrail. Then to Hurley Mtn road to Rt 28.

From 28, up Jockey Hill Rd, Close to the Edge, then Sawkill Rd into Woodstock. Stopped for a oilcan and a burrito then it was off to Mead Rd and Overlook.

Goal was to get to the Devil's Kitchen Lean-to. Nightfall and a broken derailer force us to set up camp 2 miles from our goal.

Sunrise-windy and cold. Trail water was ice.

In the AM, headed down the Devil's Path. Surprisingly wicked trail!

Didn't get to sleep here, but still got the photo.

Sticker in Lean to.

Missing something...

After bombing down Platte Clove to a deli for coffee and breakfast, the decision was made to call in the sag wagon. Instead of riding back to New Paltz on pavement and dirt back roads via singlespeed, we elected to just bail.

This route was awesome! roughly 50 miles of mostly dirt and a fair amount of single track. In the future, this is Day 1, of a multi day adventure. From here-thinking of Bear Pen Pass (only bike trail that leads to Catskill High Peak) and a bunch dirt roads in the Fleischmanns area.

GPS says close to 9K of climbing... not sure if that is right, but it did feel like it!

http://connect.garmin.com/player/242480055

burtondogs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn Dude.
That is a wicked ride.
Tim845

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Exclamation
kate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!!!
enzo149

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hardest part of bike packing is putting together the route and mad props to Jamie for putting together a killer ride! Still bummed that I had the mechanical and had to shorten it. I can't wait to see it through and extend it.
Kevin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice!
chiefmatesam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a lot of fun! Well done!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: