Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Hydraulic Vs. Mechanical Disc Brakes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chiefmatesam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:01 am    Post subject: Hydraulic Vs. Mechanical Disc Brakes Reply with quote

Looks like my mechanical brakes on my Iron Horse are dying (rear caliper is having a problem). I'm considering upgrading to hydraulic brakes...but anyone have an opinion which they think is better? My Iron Horse is a hardtail...and I'm not a downhill rider, mostly XC. So maybe mechanical brakes are better suited for me? Thanks!
slave2bacon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you upgrade you will not be sorry. Hydraulic brakes have more stopping power and no cable strech. So they feel a lot stronger to me. They are more expensive and changing the fluid is a pain, but I've only had to do that on very old brakes (5+ yrs).
jmagik172

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:38 pm    Post subject: Hydro all the way Reply with quote

I have had hydro brakes since 2005 and I had bought a single speed in 2007 that was cheap and came with mechs. The difference is very easy to notice. To add to the comment above, I would say one of the best features of hydro brakes is their ability to modulate. With Mechs they seem to just lock up and give more of an on/off feeling. Hydro brakes have subtle levels of power that allow for great modulation and control.
If you can afford the Hydros go for it.
jamesframes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mechanicals are very easy to maintain and to adjust and don't get air bubbles...

hyrdos are still prob better...

Support your LBS-Bicycle Depot New Paltz NY
chiefmatesam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great advice! Anyone prefer Avid over Hayes or vice versa? Looked at Shimano, and it looked like I'd have to get new hubs too...so no go (trying to keep costs at a minimum).
Forest_biker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For cross country riding and if you want good mechanical brakes that are strong, have a good modulation and are wicked easy to maintain try Avid BB-7's....personally my favorite hands down.

....or you can learn how to bleed hydro brakes too.

Don't take one person's word on it, check the amount of reviews here:

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/brakes/disc-brake-system/avid/bb7-mechanical-disc-brake/prd_414628_1507crx.aspx

MTBR.com is a good spot to check for reviews on many of the different brakes.
TriassicDoc
El Presidente

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The avid elixirs are very easily adjustable and they have a very similar feel to mechanical brakes. To be honest, I liked my old Juicy 3s better because they were not as grippy and they seemed to have more slack, I have to be very gentle with my elixirs or I get tossed. The Juicy 3 levers were crap tho and fell apart.
chiefmatesam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the great advice! I've got my eye on a used set of BB7's on eBay. I did check mtbr.com on a couple of hydraulic brakes...and they weren't the best reviews. May just go with the BB7's for now and once I upgrade to a nicer bike go for the hydraulic brakes then.

Again, thanks for all the great advice. I've really enjoyed belonging to this forum! Everyone has been very helpful, especially to this newb!
Riceball

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a pair of new in box Hayes brakes but don't plan to use them.
Front is 7", have the adaptor.
Don't mind helpin out a deck ape if you're not a carrier sailor
PM me if interested and I will dig them out and quote my cost
I have a set of Aguira Pro that I thought I would replace, but I like them fine so far
DD710
DEG1046
'68-'71
AdamDZ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First: hi all! I'm new here Smile

Are hydros easier on your hands? Less hand fatigue? I'm in the process of putting a mountain bike together and I need to choose brakes. I'm very familiar with BB7s, have those on all my bikes (trekking, commuting, touring) but I'm curious about hydros. If they're worth the extra money and complexity?

I have BB7s with 203mm rotors on my trekking/touring bike and, even when heavily loaded (bike+gear=~100lbs), I have tons of stopping power. Even with smaller rotors I never really had any major complaints about BB7s... once I learned how to adjust them properly So I'm not really concerned with stopping power. But hand fatigue is sometimes an issue on long downhills.

Adam
AdamDZ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiefmatesam wrote:
Thanks again for the great advice! I've got my eye on a used set of BB7's on eBay. I did check mtbr.com on a couple of hydraulic brakes...and they weren't the best reviews. May just go with the BB7's for now and once I upgrade to a nicer bike go for the hydraulic brakes then.

Again, thanks for all the great advice. I've really enjoyed belonging to this forum! Everyone has been very helpful, especially to this newb!

Check Universal Cycles and Pricepoint for last year's BB7s models. 2010 already had the new rotors. They often have them cheap. I bought cheap BB7s on eBay once and they came without the adapters, but they should. That was another $20 Sad
chiefmatesam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up with the hydraulic brakes...took me forever and a day to get the damn things bled, but they work great! Definately an improvement over the mechanicals that were there.

Hindsight being 20/20, I do wish I had gotten the BB7's because they are much easier to maintain and such. But I'm glad I have the knowledge now tho of the hydraulics when I upgrade my bike or convince the wife to let me get a full suspension bike.
TriassicDoc
El Presidente

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chiefmatesam: it is easier to obtain forgiveness than it is to receive permission [re: new fs bike] Very Happy

After I figured out my Elixir CRs, I really love them. You can adjust the brake pads from the levers. This has come in very handy actually. The only thing is that they put a little arrow on the lever twisty thing that says "IN" and it actually means that the calipers will go further apart rather than closer together, which was a bit confusing for myself and ... everyone else I know. Also, apparently the elixir bleed system is very simple and easy to use and can be used for any other hydro brakes [I am quoting my mechanic on this one].
chiefmatesam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Creseis: Very true and I practice that at work...but the wife doesn't forget ANYTHING...plus I'd rather face anything but the wrath of an angry Long Island wife...!

That being said, I've liked the Hayes HFX 9 brakes once I've finally gotten them bled. Took time and 3 bottles of brake fluid to get it done right. Plus I accidentally got brake fluid on one of the pads (DOH!) which I think I'm going to replace. At the end of the day, I spent more than than I had hoped to save. But that being said, I learned a lot about them and like the hydraulic brakes (doubt I'll go back to mechanicals).
edgeworker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Trek has hydraulics. My 29er and Pugs have BB7's. Both work just fine. I think mechanicals have come a long ways.
bbianchi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love my hydraulics. They require using two fingers vs three for mechanical (for me). Have used Shimano Deores for 4 years with absolutely no problems - except due to unexpected contact with rocks, etc. Bleeding is very easy and once done, only needs to be redone if a hose gets disconnected. Changing pads is all the upkeep I find necessary.
AdamDZ

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use two fingers with BB7s too. I think I'll go with BB7s for this build, mainly for budget reasons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: