Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Front Wheel not setting right ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TriassicDoc
El Presidente

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:29 pm    Post subject: Front Wheel not setting right ? Reply with quote

I have always had problems with my front wheel. Basically, something happened with the original skewer and I could never get it tight enough, so the wheel kept falling off. We ended up [and by we, I mean the bike mechanic Very Happy] placing washers in with the skewer, which worked really well--the wheel stays on. I got new Avid Elixir brakes with a larger rotor (not sure if that makes a difference), rode the bike a couple of times and didn't notice anything strange. Bike ended up back in the shop for a while, came back, and now the front wheel won't turn when it is tight. When the skewer is loosened, it spins freely. It is not the brake caliper, that has been tested. When the skewer is tightened, the rotor is rubbing against the caliper AND the fork. There are rub marks, so I am not crazy (I don't think).

So, I am wondering what to do next and first I would like to know if anyone has ever had this problem and how they resolved it? I was thinking about removing these washers and trying something flexible ? like, a thin, rubber washer? Plastic?

Note: I am very poor and minimally employed at the moment, so DIY-MacGyver solutions are most appreciated! Right now, the bike is unrideable and probably not safe. Sad Poor Soma!
tom church

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off I would say that if the skewer does not work...do not modify it. A modified skewer is dangerous. There is some other underlying problem here.

Is this a suspension fork? What brand and model?

Where on the caliper is it rubbing? (fork side I assume but is it rubbing on the top?

When you had the new brakes put on was a new adapter used (if one was needed)?

If you can get down to Beacon, bring it in after 4pm when I am there. I'll take a look at it for you and at least try to get you a diagnosis on it. We close at 5 today but are open till 7 the rest of the week.

Tom
TriassicDoc
El Presidente

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks... I won't be anywhere near Beacon, but I will probably bring it over to my LBS tomorrow.
tom church

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah...best idea, there is something else going on here...
TriassicDoc
El Presidente

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: problem solved Reply with quote

oh I am so retarded...

just for posterity: the problem was that one of the washers was on the wrong side of the fork. The person who put the washers in told me what to do and I put the washers on the inside of the fork (one wants to be on the outside) and it's a very happy wheel now!
paetersen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: problem solved Reply with quote

creseis wrote:
oh I am so retarded...

just for posterity: the problem was that one of the washers was on the wrong side of the fork. The person who put the washers in told me what to do and I put the washers on the inside of the fork (one wants to be on the outside) and it's a very happy wheel now!

You still shouldn't need washers with the q/r. Something is not quite right about that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: