Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Tubeless?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maveriks92

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 6:54 pm    Post subject: Tubeless? Reply with quote

I'm sick of getting pinch flats. I talked to my mechanic and he helped me out with some things but the truth is that I'm probably going to make the switch at some point over to tubeless.

I don't know much about rims or what really goes into making this happen. I want to try and make my current set up last but if it keeps happening I'm going to make the switch, rims and all.

Anyone have any incite on this? I'm not trying to break the bank but I know it's going to cost a few bucks to switch it over. I just want something decent for my money.

Thanks,

Cole
tom church

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can do a Stan's conversion at a reasonable price. Same tires and rims you have. You'll need rim strips, valves and sealant. We've done a couple of these and they work well.

If you want to buy new wheels go Mavic UST. They work great. Any UST tire will work, we always recommend Maxxis for Mtn. tires...nothing better. You'll still need some sealant but less and it's not 100% required.

Tom
MattD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out Stans notubes website , reasonably priced .
they are what you'll see on a lot of bikes at xc races .
stevelei

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also check out DT Swiss for rims and their 240 hubs they are a bit more money but are very reliable. DT Swiss also makes spokes which are common on many performance bikes. They don't use proprietary spokes so should you break a spoke out on a trip somewhere any spoke will work. A wheel from DT will be custom built ensuring you get a wheelset that meets your riding style and the terrain you will be riding.

As for tires for riding around here places like Jockey or Onteora. I like tires with sidewall protection like Continental Mountain King or Schwalbe Fat Albert. Schwalbe is a high volume low pressure tire. Both work with Stan's sealant kit.

Here is a Stan's instruction video to show you how to convert a non "UST" wheel into tubeless. This will explain how the system works.
http://www.notubes.com/Movies_Kit_Installation.aspx

If you are not ready for new wheels try new tires and Stan's.

For rider reviews on products and parts check out MTBR.com for reviews and forums.

Later
SL
Maveriks92

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice all around. I looked into Stan's no tubes and now I understand the process. It looks like the better choice for this season. I'm going to run through my spar tubes then make the switch to tubeless.

Thanks again.
paetersen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ghetto tubeless works great and it's cheap. All you need is some stans and a spare tube.
masterofnone

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've converted all my bikes except two over the years. I just converted my road bike too, it makes me wonder why there are still so many tubular diehards out there. Stan's rimstrips work great but check the website for the recommended width strip and special instructions for those finicky rims that don't seal easily. Ghetto tubeless works good too. Stan's has a great beadhook design on his rims that seal up super easy without using a compressor. FWIW I've never used a UST rim or tire, they're not really necessary for the tubeless experience.[/i]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: