Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
skipping singlespeed chain.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikemarzano

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:39 pm    Post subject: skipping singlespeed chain. Reply with quote

so i got my ss together and bought a kit from my lbs with a tensioner and spacers.

used my 8speed kmc chain and shortened it and used my shimano octalink crankset on the middle ring (for now).

But when i pedal hard it skips like a bastardo.....????? what the hell is happeneing. i shortented the chain more and it still does it.

is it the ramped front rings or is the chain shot?

beer for anyone who can help me solve this and a eternally grateful riding partner.

mike
Forest_biker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done the ss thing with a conversion kit and I'd bet that the tensioner is the key.
Does it push up on the chain to wrap it around the rear cog or does it push the chain down and away from the cog?
If it pushes down on the chain away from the cog, you might not be getting enough chain wrapping on the cog. This was my problem with mine.
Having it push up on the chain works better.

There is good info here it's from MBTR:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=660357&highlight=skipping+chain
tom church

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Forest Biker said...make sure it has enough wrap...then...

First...make sure that the chain is tight and under tension the whole pedal stroke.

Second, check the chain for stiff links...feel each one and bend it back and forth completely. If you find one that is stiff try bending the link back and forth laterally (not the way it usually bends). Sometimes this will clear it out.

Third, did you use a gear from the old cassete or did you buy a new rear cog? Most single speed cogs are are designed for single speed chains which are wider than multi-gear chains. (you should use a SS chain anyways...they are stronger and last longer under SS stresses).

If nothing above applied then, my guess without seeing it or getting more details, is that the chain and rings/gears are worn differently and are not meshing together. Are you getting a hard clunk forward on the pedals when it skips? Usually under pedaling pressure? The used rings/rear/chain came from different places (off different bikes, parts lying around)? Some parts are used and some are new?

A chain and the rings/cogs wear together. Over time the chain gets slightly longer as the pins and other parts wear. This causes the chainrings/cogs to wear with the chain. So when you put a new perfectly spaced chain on, it actually rides up on the ring or cogs that are worn to the old longer chain rather than falling in the space. The skip/pedal lurch is when the chain falls forward into place on the gear. This is why you should change your chain a couple of times a year if you ride a lot (our shop guys go through 2-3 a year on their bikes). Your LBS has a tool to check chain wear.

Try a new chain first, if that dosent work then try the rear cog, then the front ring.

Tom
slave2bacon

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get rid of the tensioner and your problem will be solved. Ask your LBS about a SS hub. Yeah it costs a few buck but you will never regret having a true SS. I like the ENO because it's eccentric (like you?) and setting the tension is easy. It has a clean look unlike the SS conversion thingy that could disrupt the chi of your bike's energy flow.

http://www.whiteind.com/rearhubs/singlespeedhubs.html
tom church

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ENO hub is amazing. We have built up a few of them now.

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: