Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Public use of private lands

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject: Public use of private lands Reply with quote

Im looking for information in regards to land owner protection, if such land owner permits trail building and public use on their property. I can"t seem to find anything.
slave2bacon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might lead you in the right direction.

Whether the property is posted or not, the New York General Obligations Law (Section 9-103) protects landowners from liability under a particular condition: the person is not paying you to access the property. This includes trespassers and the people you give permission to hunt, bird watch, or hike on your property. Because of this protection, recreational liability lawsuits against rural landowners are uncommon. Recreational activities covered in the law include: hunting, fishing, picking (berries, plants, etc.) canoeing, boating, trapping, hiking, cross-country skiing, tobogganing, sledding, caving activities, horseback riding, bicycle riding, hang gliding, motorized vehicle operation for recreation (ATVs), snowmobiling, non-commercial wood cutting or gathering, and even dog training.
jmagik172

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Pump Track Reply with quote

If I build a pump track on my property, I assume it would still be wise to post a sign that says you must sign a waiver to relase the owner of the property of responsibility, etc...
I have a waiver template and was going to run it by a lawyer.
Any suggestions or comments on this?
slave2bacon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant give you any legal advice about it, but I'd love to ride the pump track!

Any lawyers in this bike club????
crn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any websites that have literature posted in regard to this. I thought it was on the DEC site but have not been able to locate.
crn

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, Got it. Thank you
jmagik172

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Pump Track Reply with quote

No worries on not posting legal advice. I'll use the info in your post above and the liability waiver from "Pump Track Nation" (leelikesbikes.com) to protect myself.
All in the club will be welcome to ride and ALL in the club will be welcome to BUILD! Hopefully going to have a build day in March or April at the very latest. I'll post up details as they become available. I figured pizza and a keg will help motivate the masses. I need it done inside a day so the wife will not have time to "comment".

Going to be a ton of fun!
tom church

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just keep in mind that while you are protected...they can still sue you and you have to pay for a lawyer to defend yourself. They will loose but they can still sue...

Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: