Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
29er Tires.....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
burtondogs

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: 29er Tires..... Reply with quote

What 29er tires have you had good luck with around here?

I currently have the S-Works Captains.
They hook up great in all conditions, but way too many pinch flats.
The sidewalls are not built for Jockey hill type of rocks.

Thanks.
harry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ve been running Bontrager Jones ACX with good luck. Also Racing Ralphs. I have some Nevegals which hook up great but are heavy and slow. Irun a Mountain King 2.4 up front on my rigid bike ,that hooks up well. Harry
tom church

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Maxxis Ignitor's. Awesome XC tire avaliable in 29er. Get the softer compound.

Tom
Tim845

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch, seems to me anything soft compound would get eaten in a few rides @ rocky Jockey Confused
burtondogs

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking of the WTB Weirwolf LT up front
for the back I would like something like a Velociraptor rear design.

Hey Tim... did you have any luck with the Weirwolf as a rear tire?
tom church

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soft compound sticks to the rocks MUCH better. Thats all I have ridden for a few years. Asphalt eats them up but hey...we're on mountain bikes. All the Beacon crew rides are Super Tacky (or 3C) Maxxis Minions, most of the WMBA crew runs Super Tacky or Sticke (Kenda's version of Super Tacky) tires. It really helps in the rocks. If you're worried about super efficient rolling tires then don't go for it but it you want to be more stable through rocks and tech stuff then nothing beats it! The best are actually the Maxxis 3C tires. Super Tacky down the sides and harder down the center.

The Ignitors actually don't come that soft. The Super Tacky is a 42 durometer but the Ignitors only come in a 60(62) or 70. If you can get the 60 it is best but 70 isn't that bad. They used to make them in a harder compound but I guess they stopped that.

Tom
pinklewurst (tschneller)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: 29er tire Reply with quote

No better than Continental Mountain King 29er 2.4. They grip really well and corner like a dream. I have them on my 29er fully and I am running the WTB front tire and the Bontrager as my back tire on a new 29er hard tail I just built. The Contis are by far grippier and faster on dirt. They suck on the road and railtrails, carriage roads etc. They are also pretty wide but not like a true 2.4. Make sure they fit the frame if you get them.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: