Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Sorry, on behalf of all us singlespeeders!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bikejunkie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Sorry, on behalf of all us singlespeeders! Reply with quote

I had a conversation last night with one of the owners of a "Kingston" area bike shop. In that conversation, It came up that I am riding a single speed more than than often than not these days. From that point on the conversation got ugly! It turns out (so I'm told) that you can't climb hills on a single speed. Is this true? I will have to remember that the next time we ride bear backwards. Next, I was asked if I'm riding alone and I said "nope, I usually ride with a group". "Wow, those guys must be slow" was the next informative statement that came out of his mouth. Next, I leaned that hardtails are not faster than a duelly. Just in case you were wondering!
With all this new and enlightening information, I just wanted to appologize to all of you on behalf of all us singlespeeders (we must hold the group up too much). And I'm also sorry to hear that you are all slow as well. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Wink
g60dude

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man............would have loved to been at that conversation.........Now we just need to find this guy out riding sometime and watch you pass him going up a hill on your singlespeed

The only place I feel more comfortable and will go faster on a duelly (that may change as I ride my hard tail more and more) is rocky, rooty downhills. But climbing and technical single track I feel the hardtail is more responsive

bikejunkie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Too bad Kevin jumped ship. He could have shown him a thing or two. Very Happy
g60dude

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way..........this is the BikeJunkies single speed in question.....notice how extreme he is sportn' no brakes either Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Big Baby Jesus

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope this is not the same shop owner who was walking his geared Colnago C40 up a hill on one of the Thursday Woodstock rides. Pretty funny to see somone walking a bike with all them gears. Fortunately we waited for him to walk his ass up to the top of the hill.
bikejunkie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know, Could be him but, from what I understand, He doesn't like to ride in a group. You know, then he'd have to wait. Rolling Eyes
burtondogs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

Sounds like plain old ignorance too me.
Bike shop owners must feel threatened when so many people are not interested in buying the stuff they are selling.

I was checking out the latest Specialized top end duallies the other day.
All the tech features look cool as hell, but its just more stuff that's gonna break.
Then I looked around and noticed there was not one Steel hardtail mountain bike in the store.

later
Jim
bikejunkie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one owner in particular. Many of them ride singles themselves. I don't want to bash all the shop owners, that was never my intent.
Kevin

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikejunkie wrote:
Yeah, Too bad Kevin jumped ship. He could have shown him a thing or two. Very Happy

Ouch, what a kick in the nuts! You know I think SS is the bees knees Very Happy

I still have her. She will be back STRONG (or at least running) for the 2007 season, mark my words. By the way, we should go on a fixed gear ride soon Wink
bikejunkie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew that would get a rise out of you Kevin. Not to worry, your nuts will heal. Embarassed
raybag

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apology accepted. Next time you're waiting for me at a regroup you make sure to show me the respect that a fully geared full suspension rider deserves, no matter how far off the back I am! And poor Kevin, not only is his ego bruised, but his nuts as well! Tsk tsk.

Not to worry though, my SS is alive and well and recently cleaned up in preperation for the Famous Fats in the Cats Christmas Ride, aka Santa Rampage. All I have to do is string my x-mas lights around her smooth sleek body and she'll be ready to go.
shizzle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HMMMM that same shop owner 'brother' told me that there is no way that someone on a hardtail could keep up with a rider on a FS on jockey hill. I went to purchase an item after not having been there for years....All I got was a negative attitude, I wont be going back.
bikejunkie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Sir Mr Shizz McNizz, That sounds like the very one! You know, the one that always has an opinion but that you never see on the trail. Don't worry, they don't need your buisiness, there are plenty of Huffy's to fix! Laughing
Riceball

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Single speedin my Salsa Reply with quote

I have cut the cables to my derailleurs and zip-tied them to a fixed position. Works fine on my flat driveway. What gear would you select for hilly ol' Kingston for this year's Question Santa Enigma?
bikejunkie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve! Just one question, why would you do that? Confused Do you really want to run a single for the Christmas Ride? If so, might I suggest you skip the cable cutting business and simply not shift? Wink All kidding asside, if you truly want gear ratio suggestions, for that night, you could probably get by fairly easily with a 2 to 1 ratio. Last year I ran a rediculously tall 39 front and 13 rear. It's ok on the flats but, if you want to take off at the bottom of a hill it can be a challenge.

Doug
ATOMICPUNK

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike shops hate ss . there is less parts to break and it easier to maintain
Riceball

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Singlin my Salsa Reply with quote

Hey Doug.
Handlebar change drives re-cabling or no cabling choice, looking at the setups you can buy as single speed, I am going with something like 34T driving 18 or 20.....won't be in the lead, but won't be too much slower...

I am looking at restoring the frame shortly and do not want to waste a new cable install for one ride....

hope that damned reindeer of mine doesn't get too drunk too early!

santa steve
bikejunkie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Steve, There are several kits available. Nashbar had one faily cheap. You will need a chain tensioner of some sort. You can use an old deraileur and simply adjust the stops at the proper chain alignment or just buy one. Remember that chain alignment is key. If it's not right, it will give you trouble and you will not have much fun! I think you will be fine with your gearing choice.

Doug
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: