Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
new fork or new bike?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
exbmxer

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: new fork or new bike? Reply with quote

I bought a Cannondale F300 - a low-end stiff tail - a few years ago that's served me well for the kind of riding I do: straight up, weekend warrior trail rides, no big drops, but pretty agressive up hills, over rocks and stumps, and the occasional small jump - riding about once a week/every other week. I'm contemplating upgrading the fork, which seems to necessitate going to disc brakes, which means new hub, maybe new levers... depending on how serious a fork I get (want to stay under $400), I figure I may spend $700 or so when all said and done, which is more than I originally paid for the whole bike. I love the geometry and I'm sure the frame will last for the kind of riding I do, but I'm wondering if I just go for a new bike altogether. Thanks for any advice you've got.
Tim845

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With your current budget @ $700, thats a good ways towards a whole new bike. You will get more bang for the bucks if you get another bike, and hold onto the current one for backup or loaner.
For just a few hundred more you can get that upgraded fork, with a better frame and parts.
Some people have had luck with used bikes from ebay/etc., but Im for being the first owner with warranty.
burtondogs

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

My neighbor just picked up a new Specialized Rockhopper at Bikeway for around $500.
It is a bit heavy but has Avid Disc brakes, Rockshox, etc.

The bike is completely trail worthy and seems like a great deal for $500.
bike this

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wheel & Heel will hook you up for $700 or less...with discs and all..
come in and take a look.
slave2bacon

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And dont forget to support your local bike shop! Mention to your local shop that you are a member of FITC. Many shops in the area give discounts. For example, Overlook is giving a one-time 20% discount and Bike Depot gives members 10% off all the time (ask shops for exact details).

If you are not an official member, sign up at the membership page. It's just $15 and can save you a lot more!
exbmxer

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: new fork or new bike? Reply with quote

Thanks, all. Good rec's on local shops!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: