Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Welcome to May! It's National Bike Month!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Welcome to May! It's National Bike Month! Reply with quote

Welcome to May, and more importantly, to National Bike Month Smile

http://www.bikeleague.org/programs/bikemonth/

"Bike to Work Week" is May 12-16, and every Friday is Bike to Work Day.

If you live in Kingston, you've got a head start. Over the past month, I've been putting together a Google map for safe Bicycle Rack locations in Kingston to lock your bike to while you do errands.
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=108809855954532006704.00044a397bcac9e9f3081&t=h&z=13

Substituting some of your car trips for an enjoyable bicycle ride is much easier than you think. Try it and you'll like it Smile

Ride on!
BillB3
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sweet map, I'll be on the lookout for any additions...
Trance 1

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a got a new road bike and as soon as the mornings get alittle warmer I'll be riding to and from work a few times a week.
Kevin

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, are you able to add a new location on the map? I tried to set it up so anyone could add their stuff...

And Trance, where will you be riding to from Krumville?
BillB3
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin wrote:
Bill, are you able to add a new location on the map? I tried to set it up so anyone could add their stuff...

It does not appear that I can. Sad
Trance 1

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And Trance, where will you be riding to from Krumville?

To Foxhall Ave, it's about 19 miles. I use to do it about 5 years ago and it's time to start doing it again...
Kevin

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did we pass eachother this morning at the Cottekill Fire House?
Trance 1

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't biking this morning, next week the weather looks better for riding in. Leaving home at 5am i would like it a little warmer.
Kevin

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok, then it's someone else who has seen the light!

Using landmarks to describe my ride, I ride from the Saab dealership in Kingston to Lydias Country Deli in Kripplebush. I take Hurley Avenue to the Rail Trail, to Cottekill Fire, Cottekill Road, 209. Maybe we'll pass eachother Smile
Trance 1

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be starting on rt 2 going to 2a, 213, brownstation, Hurley mt rd through old Hurley to Foxhall, use to do it in 55 minutes we'll see 5 yrs later Rolling Eyes
Kevin

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some great articles in this months Chronogram, both written by Brian Mahoney: http://www.chronogram.com/

According to the President's Council on Physical Fitness and Sports, approximately 70 percent of US adults are sedentary, meaning they do not

get 30 minutes of moderate physical activity on a daily basis. This lack of general fitness plays into two national crises: ever-increasing healthcare costs and the epidemic of obesity. The total societal costs of obesity are estimated by the National Heart Association to be $117 billion per year, and obesity is second behind tobacco in US health risk factors, contributing to 300,000 deaths a year.

One way to stay fit is as simple as riding a bike. Everyday cycling, moderate exercise which leaves you breathing heavy but not out of breath, can be an effective component of a low-impact fitness regimen that can reduce the risk of heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, and obesity. Even a small amount of cycling can make a difference. One study in the British Medical Journal found that a 15-minute ride to and from work five days a week burns off the equivalent of 11 pounds of fat in a year. Cycling is also an activity that can be undertaken by just about anyone as part of a daily routine. (Numerous studies have shown links between increased strength and coordination in people over 65 who cycle and a decrease in rates of hip fracture.)
Click Here!

Aside from our personal health, riding bikes as a form of transportation makes for a healthy planet. Nearly a third of the gas used in the US goes for trips of three miles or less. Why not make a few of these trips part of your fitness regimen?

Bike Month

It’s Bike Month once again, and I am reminded of certain realities regarding our lifestyle in this country:
As of April 25 gas is $3.65 a gallon and shows no sign of downward movement. This is no Seventies-style “oil crisis,” no geopoliticking by the members of OPEC. This is no market fluctuation while we find untapped new reserves lurking in some heretofore unexplored locale, like beneath the Vatican. This is the last slow sip on the oil straw. And no admixture of biodiesel, solar, wind, ethanol, nuclear, or hydrogen is going to replace the dead dinosaurs we pour into our automobiles once their tombs are fully looted. (Unless we can figure a way to turn our own ancestors into black gold, and right quick. Soylent Gas is people!) When the oil dries up, human arrangements as they’re currently configured are going to change. We will drive our cars less. Not because gas is $10 a gallon—that won’t stop us—but because there won’t be any of it to be had by guns or money. (James Howard Kunstler’s The Long Emergency is a good primer on this topic).

We’re fat. I mean, I’m not and you’re not, but somebody must be because obesity has been on the rise in the US for 40 years. In 1964, 13 percent of us were obese. Now 31 percent of us are obese and 63 percent of us are overweight. More to the point: Almost four million people in this country weigh over 300 pounds, over 400,000 people (men mostly) carry over 400 pounds. The Surgeon General blames obesity for 300,000 deaths a year.

The twin issues of our gas consumption and our sedentary lifestyle come together neatly in a little bundle called Bike-to-Work Day. This year, it’s Friday, May 16. If you live within 10 miles of where you work, own a bicycle, and are reasonably healthy, you should do it. If not, then a) quit your job, your commute is too long, it’s killing you, it’s killing the planet; b) buy a bicycle—there are 10 new postings every day of bikes for sale on the Hudson Valley extension of Craig’s List; c) get fit, there’s still time (go slow) if you start now!

Think about it, but don’t think too long. Biking to work is not easy, admittedly. I ride the potholed streets of Kingston every day, where cyclists are a nuisance and drivers still haven’t grasped why it’s important to signal before you turn. Note to Kingston drivers: The reason you signal is because I am flying past in your blind spot and I will end up a mangle mess beneath your tires or across your hood if you don’t let me know when you’re turning!

But who said everything should be easy? The challenge is relishing the challenge.
Click Here!

PS: There are a number of safe, group bicycle rides for charity planned over the course of the summer, including Family of Woodstock’s Tour de Family in Saugerties on May 18, High Meadow School’s Ride the Ridge in Stone Ridge on June 1, and the Great Hudson Valley Pedal, from Albany to New York City, August 12 through August 17.

Tour de Family Cycle Saugerties 'o8
Short track mountain bike rach and three tours of 50, 25, or 10 miles on May 18.
For more information visit, www.bikereg.com, www.familyofwoodstock.org

High Meadow's Premier Ulster County Bike Challenge
With three routes to chose, a five mile, a 25 mile or a 50 mile ride around the countryside on Sunday, June 1.

The 4th annual Great Hudson Valley Pedal
A six day, 200 mile bicylce tour from Albany to New York City starting August 12.

All that, plus a great ad on page 35 for Sustainable Hudson Valley speaking of bike improvements coming to Kingston.

-Kevin
Forest_biker

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny that it being bike month and all, there sure aren't many rides being posted. Confused

Tim845

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

www.cricketsoundeffects.com
Rolling Eyes
bikejunkie

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forest_biker wrote:
It's funny that it being bike month and all, there sure aren't many rides being posted. Confused

Ohhhhh, I missunderstood, I thought May was national give your bike a rest month. Embarassed Still....I've been riding mine once a weak weather it needs it or not. Rolling Eyes I'm sick of working! Evil or Very Mad
Kevin

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, how was everyones monday bike commute? Anyone? Razz
BillB3
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very windy going over the Hudson, but other than that...quite lovely. and yours?
Kevin

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredibly windy...my speed was cut down by a good 10mph on my downhills!

Oh well, theres always tomorrow Smile
leotio

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been commuting to work, but have been shopping with my touring bike and panniers, lots of room for groceries. With the BOB trailer on I could shop for a family of 5. Now if they would only let me ride it through the store.....again.
raybag

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful commute this morning under clear skies and bright sunshine. Cool temps made for a chilly start but once on the Ashokan Road climb I warmed right up. Nice to see a big flock of turkeys along the roadside.

Great way to start my day!
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Kevin

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear about your ride raybag.

I had a good one myself as well. I even had a guy stop me at the post office to say "Hey, now that's the way to get around!".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: