Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Portion of Hyde Park Trail is being temporarily closed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Trails
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoneToTheDogs?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Portion of Hyde Park Trail is being temporarily closed Reply with quote

Received today (March 17) from NPS. Liaison will try to get details.

(The announcement below was recently released to the media.)

The portion of the Hyde Park Trail between the Home of Franklin D.
Roosevelt National Historic Site and Eleanor Roosevelt National Historic
Site between Routes 9 and 9G is being temporarily closed effective March
23, 2008.

The trail will be undergoing rehabilitation work expected to be completed
in October 2008.

This work will include grading, resurfacing, a new bridge over the Maritje
Kill, redesign of the Route 9 parking lot, and the creation of a new 8-car
parking lot near Route 9G.

When rehabilitation work is complete the trail will re-open to hikers and
bicyclists. However, while the construction contract is in effect the site
will be closed to the public.

Thank you for your patience as we improve the park facilities.

For information contact the National Park Service at 845-229-1521.
cfury

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The section that will be closed is shaded in red.

BillB3
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NPS response to my question...

Does this include all trails in this property or just the main road?
Quote:
In effect the entire property will be closed, because the only "official" public access to the property is from the main trail, either at Rt 9 or Rt 9G. People that ride in from St. Andrews are not on NPS property until they almost reach the trail, but crossing the trail will not be permitted during construction.

The main concern is safety. We don't want walkers or riders getting near construction activities.
Forest_biker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really takes 7 months to grade a dirt road and build a bridge and a new parking lot on 9G?

I can't believe they would close the whole area because of fixing one trail.

Quote:
"In effect the entire property will be closed, because the only "official" public access to the property is from the main trail, either at Rt 9 or Rt 9G."

They could at least acknowledge that there are other ways in to access this area and make an effort to support park usage instead of just shutting it down.

How about until this area is reopened, they open both Roosevelt sites to bikes?

Maybe they could temporarily shut down parts of it with signs as they work their way through. We all know that there won't be work happening on the majority of the days that it closed.
g60dude

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That does seem like a long time for what they are saying they plan on doing. I remember years back going up to Minnewaska in the spring time and every year it seemed they regraded most of the carriage trails with new crushed stone. Figure they did them all within a month.

With the amount of time they are talking, has there been any word that this resurfacing plan involves asphalt? Shocked

Tim845

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Parks Service told us only a hill section would be paved to allow the tram to easier climb it.

The idea of opening both sides to bikes is great -the jeep trail down to the river is an excellent trip. There's no singletrack there though. There is room.

Maybe my priorities are Confused , but this weeks news is more Shocked than last weeks Exclamation
Forest_biker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few questions. Question

Does anyone know what is going on with Hyde Park?

Near the Brewery I believe the sign said (not 100% sure) that all the trails were ungoing restoration/maintence/rest.

That's funny, who's doing all this work?

I'm particularly amazed that we did trail creation and reclamation there, and didn't have to shut down the entire place for the day. Confused

Would it be possible to gain a permit to ride there during this closed period if we sign a waiver to protect them if we happen to get hurt by products of their restoration efforts?

Do we have any sort of current talk going on with the park service?

Since it is tax time and I'm currently adding to the support of the park service, what can I do to let them know that this land and custodians of it are technically being supported by us, and how can I make an appeal to use the park while a single trail and one parking lot are being worked on?
jamesframes

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chill-lax bra... Very Happy
GoneToTheDogs?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically, the only official trails at the site are the main route through, the Hyde Park Trail and the section where the IMBA crew designed the trail last year. So yes, technically speaking...all the trails are being worked on. The property was secured a few years back by Scenic Hudson and conveyed to NPS for the purpose of putting a road through to shuttle tourists from FDR to Valkill. The other trails are not authorized, but in good faith, we have been allowed to use them untill this closure for the road project. We anticipate that there will be a process with public comment at some point in the future to work with NPS on creating new trails and recognizing existing trails. NPS invited IMBA to assess the property for bike trails and received positive feedback, but it is a process. NPS has been supportive and has been developing an inventory of the unauthorized trails, which hopefully will be made official in the future.

Frank is in communication with NPS about the property, so will wait for him to give updates.
Forest_biker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if I've got this right, the IMBA trail, as the second official trail, is floating out there in the woods disconnected from the other official trail.

How does one access it officially? Wink

You've just gotta love the government. Idea
GoneToTheDogs?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forest_biker wrote:
So if I've got this right, the IMBA trail, as the second official trail, is floating out there in the woods disconnected from the other official trail.

How does one access it officially? Wink

I'll have to let our experts with the trail system answer specifically, but there is the main Hyde Park Trail and if I'm not mistaken, the other trail that is authorized trail there is the Newbold trail which connects . The IMBA trail is an off shoot from Newbold.

Edit:
Here's the official NPS map of the trail system from summer 2007:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Trails All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: