Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
single speed crank and bb

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TriassicDoc
El Presidente

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:07 pm    Post subject: single speed crank and bb Reply with quote

Any suggestions? The bracket ceased up, I'm assuming there's water and mud in there that froze and it's sealed. I want cranks and bb that will last forever, but I don't want to spend more than, say, $150--is this possible?

(sooo, I ruined my singlespeed's bb with snow, ice, slush, and mud over the last 2 weeks, Trance is still in the hospital, Kona is being a bad bf and not calling back about my new bike, and I am very sad!)
jamesframes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sounds like its time to by a quad Very Happy
robdamanii

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shimano LX M580.

Ebay.

GO!
Forest_biker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why are you replacing the cranks?

Why not buy a new BB and if your chainring on the crank is worn, replace it also.

That should run under $150. Wink
TriassicDoc
El Presidente

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have to replace the whole thing if I want to get a non-sealed bb.
mtbxtc

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iff you can swing it try to get a shimano Hollowtech II
type crank and BB setup
bikejunkie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: single speed crank and bb Reply with quote

creseis wrote:
Any suggestions? The bracket ceased up, I'm assuming there's water and mud in there that froze and it's sealed. I want cranks and bb that will last forever, but I don't want to spend more than, say, $150--is this possible?

(sooo, I ruined my singlespeed's bb with snow, ice, slush, and mud over the last 2 weeks, Trance is still in the hospital, Kona is being a bad bf and not calling back about my new bike, and I am very sad!)
creseis, I hate to tell you this but, NO bottom bracket will last you forever. I cant remember what cranks you have on your singlespeed but, a typical middle of the road BB will run you $40 of $50. Most modern bottom brackets use what are considered "sealed bearings". In the real world of mountain bikes, nothing is sealed. Water and crud will find it's way into anyplace. The bottom bracket also so happens to have a design flaw, being that it is mounted at the bottom of your bike where it is exposed to just about everything you ride through. Unless your cranks are shot or, you just really want to upgrade, I'd just replace the bottom bracked and forget about it for another couple of years. That's just my $0.02. Rolling Eyes
g60dude

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "newer" style bottom brackets where the bearings are further outward, they seem to need more maintance than the previous style. This past year I had my bottom bracket repacked twice. I don't recall when I had the previous style, it needing service as frequent

bikejunkie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g60dude wrote:
The "newer" style bottom brackets where the bearings are further outward, they seem to need more maintance than the previous style. This past year I had my bottom bracket repacked twice. I don't recall when I had the previous style, it needing service as frequent
G-man, I beleive your an animal! If I recall, you rode the crap out of your bike last year. No way anything will last you too long. Your bottom bracket probably got 2 years worth of service in 6 months. Wink
tom church

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I burn through 1 a year on each bike on average...and you should be able to get your cranks off and reuse them.

Tom
TriassicDoc
El Presidente

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does Shimano actually make a ss specific 580? I have that crankset on my trance after going through the same deal with bottom brackets breaking every other week, it was really getting to be annoying (I had raceface). Maybe I will just get 3 of them and order the tools to take it apart.
bikejunkie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know about the shimano cranks. You can however, replace the cartrage bearings in the Raceface bottom bracket cups. It's less expensive and the replacement bearings are actually larger and hopefully more durable. Billy at Overlook can help you with that.
g60dude

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikejunkie wrote:
G-man, I beleive your an animal! If I recall, you rode the crap out of your bike last year. No way anything will last you too long. Your bottom bracket probably got 2 years worth of service in 6 months. Wink

Oh, i'm not complaining, I know it's got its use. I'm just saying the newer style with the bearings further out has its pros and cons. Manufacturers claim it's better to have the bearings further apart, but with them being where they are, they are more open to the elements. Where and how we ride, its a given that our bikes need service throughout the year.

or how about an upgrade to some ceramic bearings
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BB406I00-Fsa+Ceramic+Megaexo+Bb+Cups.aspx?sc=FRGL

Last edited by g60dude on Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:23 am; edited 1 time in total
bikejunkie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g60dude wrote:
bikejunkie wrote:

Oh, i'm not complaining, I know it's got its use. I'm just saying the newer style with the bearings further out has its pros and cons. Manufacturers claim it's better to have the bearings further apart, but with them being where they are, they are more open to the elements. Where and how we ride, its a given that our bikes need service throughout the year.
Yeah the manufacturers say it's better but, they don't tell you who for. Confused
Jim Mac

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.sram.com/en/truvativ/specialtycranksets/stylo/singlespeed.php

All my biases aside, it's a fairly inexpensive crank and good external bottom bracket system. I used the Howitzer external BB this year and had good luck with it. I rode in a LOT of muck and just checked the BB yesterday- still smooth and creak free.
bikejunkie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim Mac wrote:

All my biases aside, it's a fairly inexpensive crank and good external bottom bracket system. I used the Howitzer external BB this year and had good luck with it. I rode in a LOT of muck and just checked the BB yesterday- still smooth and creak free.
You mean like this one? http://www.bicyclebuys.com/item/1603024 You cant beat the price.
Jim Mac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikejunkie wrote:
Jim Mac wrote:

You mean like this one? http://www.bicyclebuys.com/item/1603024 You cant beat the price.

Not quite those cranks, but you could - I run those (Holzfellers) on my DH bike - you could get that setup you listed and pull off the granny gear or get the single ring version. You'd need to also get the Howitzer external BB. It'd be heavier than the Stylo ss, and the Stylo price includes a BB with it, these don't.

Then again, I am also running those on my trail bike this year as well because I got a deal, so it could be done. Again, as long as you don't mind the weight.
TriassicDoc
El Presidente

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, thanks for all of the great ideas! where can I get a good deal on a toolset? I am really hoping to have my Trance back soon so I won't be riding my SS as much, but I really want to do some work on it myself. I mean, here I am, operating very high-tech stuff in the lab, I should be able to fix a bike. No? I mean, everyone loves Billy and he's gotta eat too...
Jim Mac

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

creseis wrote:
wow, thanks for all of the great ideas! where can I get a good deal on a toolset? I am really hoping to have my Trance back soon so I won't be riding my SS as much, but I really want to do some work on it myself. I mean, here I am, operating very high-tech stuff in the lab, I should be able to fix a bike. No? I mean, everyone loves Billy and he's gotta eat too...

You can look at the Park tools website, I'm sure they have a good setup. I would usually recommend the less expensive ones, but I'm not sure (need to look) they have all the stuff you need such as external BB tool, spanner wrenches, etc. But at least, start with Park!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: