Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Led Zeppelin
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g60dude

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Led Zeppelin Reply with quote

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3G_JTMuHOQk

Don't know if anyone else is Zeppelin fans, but they did one show this past Monday at the O2 Arena in England. A bit rough, but still looked like they can jam. Jason sounds very similar to his father on the drums

Limey Johnson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Led Zeppelin Reply with quote

g60dude wrote:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3G_JTMuHOQk

Don't know if anyone else is Zeppelin fans, but they did one show this past Monday at the O2 Arena in England. A bit rough, but still looked like they can jam. Jason sounds very similar to his father on the drums

Is the rumor that he's actually playing a set of his father's drums true?
robdamanii

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh. I've never heard a good live Zeppelin recording. They always did sound sloppy outside the studio, and that's still true.
g60dude

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Limey Johnson wrote:

Is the rumor that he's actually playing a set of his father's drums true?

Don't know, if he was, that would have been cool. I did get a chance to see Zeppelin and Jason live in 88 at Atlantic Records 40th Anv down at the Garden. I had nose bleed seats, but what an event. Up to that point, it was all just rumor they were possibly going to reunite for the show. They came on and the crowd just went crazy

robdamanii wrote:
Ugh. I've never heard a good live Zeppelin recording. They always did sound sloppy outside the studio, and that's still true.

Dude, this is only the third time they have played publicly together since 1980 when Bonham died. I'm pretty sure they weren't practicing all the time in the last 27 years. I'd have given anything to been over there.

I do like alot of the bands today, but in no way will anyone of them ever become a legend like Zeppelin is and always will be

GoneToTheDogs?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legendary band. The advantage of having a few more years on me is that there were so many opportunities to hear great music in smaller venues in the olden days. How about seeing Led Zeppelin as an opening act for Iron Butterfly at the Fillmore East in Feb 69? Now that was a surprise! That was one of their first shows in the US as they promoted their first album. Blew everyone away. Their next show in May or June as the headlining act was even better. And I can assure you that they didn't sound sloppy, even in the days when all the bands played two shows each night at the Fillmore..
robdamanii

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g60dude wrote:
robdamanii wrote:

Dude, this is only the third time they have played publicly together since 1980 when Bonham died. I'm pretty sure they weren't practicing all the time in the last 27 years. I'd have given anything to been over there.

I do like alot of the bands today, but in no way will anyone of them ever become a legend like Zeppelin is and always will be

I realize they haven't played together in years, but all their studio recordings from when they were together are FAR better than their live stuff. It's just the way some bands are: they are great in studio and not so great in concert.
TACO SHACK

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great in their time, absolutely. To try and do this.... questionable. I'm a huge music lover, but I think they'll be average at best. They need as much hype as possible to get people to pay what they're asking for tickets. Again, I own all of their albums, on vinyl, cassettes, and CD.
robdamanii

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, what did tickets go for?
TACO SHACK

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robdamanii wrote:
Just out of curiosity, what did tickets go for?

I don't know, but given that Van Halen's asking $150 per for the cheap seats, I'm sure it's a bunch. Anybody know?
Limey Johnson

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's a show in Dallas in January...cheapest ticket is $150.

not sure if it will change with different venues, but it's an idea.
robdamanii

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Limey Johnson wrote:

Holy hell. I wonder what they're selling the t-shirts for? $110?

See, reunion tours are just a bad idea, and it proves people will do anything if you hand them a big bag of money. The Police, Van Halen, Genesis, The Spice Girls, Led Zeppelin...none of those can be a good idea.
TACO SHACK

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robdamanii wrote:
Limey Johnson wrote:

Holy hell. I wonder what they're selling the t-shirts for? $110?

See, reunion tours are just a bad idea, and it proves people will do anything if you hand them a big bag of money. The Police, Van Halen, Genesis, The Spice Girls, Led Zeppelin...none of those can be a good idea.

Well surely you jest. We ALL know that The Spice Girls will ALWAYS rock! Wink
g60dude

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The word was the face value of the tickets for the Zeppelin concert was $250. There were approximately 18,000 seats. They had roughly 20 million people sign up on the internet lottery to get those tickets. If I could have gotton my hands on them, even at that price, I would have been over there in a heartbeat.

I'm not sure Led Zeppelin was or is the best rock band ever. But they were one of the first and almost ahead of their time. That I think makes them what they are today. Like Taco, I have all of their albums on CD's.

Kinda like Nirvana of this era and the whole new alternative rock sound. Before Nirvana came out, for the most part, rock was stuck in the hair-band era. Hell I loved Dokken, Winger, Warrant, etc. (actually still have them on CD as well) . Was Nirvana the best new alternative rock band? Can't answer that, but they will be one of the ones people will be talking about years from now.

And Rob, you actually put the Spice Girls in the same sentence as the Police, Van Halen, Genesis, Led Zeppelin? Come on....All the Spice Girls were was a corporate created puppet show not far off from MilliVanilli .......... (which, yes, I also have on CD)
Very Happy

TACO SHACK

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g60dude, you are right on, I can't even add anything.........
robdamanii

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g60dude wrote:
The word was the face value of the tickets for the Zeppelin concert was $250. There were approximately 18,000 seats. They had roughly 20 million people sign up on the internet lottery to get those tickets. If I could have gotton my hands on them, even at that price, I would have been over there in a heartbeat.

I'm not sure Led Zeppelin was or is the best rock band ever. But they were one of the first and almost ahead of their time. That I think makes them what they are today. Like Taco, I have all of their albums on CD's.

Kinda like Nirvana of this era and the whole new alternative rock sound. Before Nirvana came out, for the most part, rock was stuck in the hair-band era. Hell I loved Dokken, Winger, Warrant, etc. (actually still have them on CD as well) . Was Nirvana the best new alternative rock band? Can't answer that, but they will be one of the ones people will be talking about years from now.

And Rob, you actually put the Spice Girls in the same sentence as the Police, Van Halen, Genesis, Led Zeppelin? Come on....All the Spice Girls were was a corporate created puppet show not far off from MilliVanilli .......... (which, yes, I also have on CD)
Very Happy

Dude, Vanilla Ice FTW!
Limey Johnson

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...for a friendly razz to those who said they had ALL of Zep's albums:

Than would mean, you'd have to have some studio stuff...like:

Led Zeppelin
Led Zeppelin II
Led Zeppelin III
Led Zeppelin IV
Presence
Houses of the Holy
Physical Graffiti
In Through the Out Door...

you would also need to have a slew of live albums...such as:

The Song Remains the Same
the BBC Sessions
How the West Was Won...

and nearly a dozen compilation albums that include a Box Set, a Box Set II, Coda...Early days, Latter days...Mothership, and a couple others that escape my memory right now...

I'm a big fan...I don't have them all, but have well over a dozen.

They will forever rock. Stations will forever play their songs...your grandkids' grandkids will know who they were...that's saying something!
g60dude

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just did a quick count on Led Zeppelin related CD's. You've got me beat Limey Smile

Nine here and their first box set. Also have Page & Plants "No Quarter" Live album they did a few years back
Solo Work: Pages "Outrider" and Plants "Fate of Nations" and "Now and Zen"
Tributes: Encomium
Blood Related: Jason Bonhams Band Bonham "The Disregard to Timekeeping"

The only group I have more CD's of is Rush. 14 Rush CD's along with a couple solo ones.

TACO SHACK

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g60dude wrote:
The only group I have more CD's of is Rush. 14 Rush CD's along with a couple solo ones.

I got 'em all. Cassettes and CD's. Even some 24kt. gold special CD's. Made my own Rush jacket in high school. I'll throw you a pic if you want. Saw them 11 times, still have the stubs. Damn music today ain't $hit comparatively, huh?
g60dude

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TACO SHACK wrote:

I got 'em all. Cassettes and CD's. Even some 24kt. gold special CD's. Made my own Rush jacket in high school. I'll throw you a pic if you want. Saw them 11 times, still have the stubs. Damn music today ain't $hit comparatively, huh?

I saw Rush this past summer up at SPAC. That was probably my 6th time seeing them. And classic Rush humor starting off Tom Sawyer. Mid 50's and still puts on an amazing show

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BU_i52-xCEY&feature=related

And just surfing the web, was on Rush's website and they recently announced they will continue the Snake And Arrows tour into 2008. They also will be coming back to the east coast.............May have to make a roadtrip over to Boston

Limey Johnson

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TACO SHACK wrote:

Impressive collection. I have some Floyd on those 24k discs. They're supposedly direct copies of the original master recordings...no enhancements.

Long ago I was able to compare Pink Floyd's "The Wall" on standard cd vs. 24k...on equipment MUCH better than my own.

For those who think standard cd's are clear, which they are, if your equipment will allow you to hear the difference, get the 24k cd's. They are world's better in sound quality.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: