Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
8" disc up front?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fallen angel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: 8" disc up front? Reply with quote

pretty cheap off of price point. I splurged and purchased an 8" rotor and the adaptor for my breaks. I'm kinda curious what kind of feel the braking will have with this setup. Any of you try something like this out? I figure worst case I'll just buy another 6" to put on if I don't like it.
tom church

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is how most DH bikes are setup. You'll find a bit less fade (on long DH runs) and a bit more power on the front with the 8" rotor.

Tom
fallen angel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

figured as much.. never heard of an xc/trail bike having an 8"
bike this

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh but their out there. Slave to Bacon's new wheels has a sweet 8" rotor up front..it's pretty dope. AND, it's a Specialized. Confused
fallen angel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet... I guess I won't be the only one then. I suppose most of my worry is that I'll likely smash it on a rock or something. Not that I'm normally that friendly with rocks, just that it was on there.

I'm also considering the few grams extra weight to my pig. Though I'm planning on slowly working on new wheels over the course of the year.
Jim Mac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm interested in this setup as well - have always had 6" on trail and 8" on DH - my next trail bike build for 2008 will have a 185 mm rotor up front (7"? I'm horrible with metric conversions...) and a standard 6" out back.
Jim Mac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fallen angel wrote:
Sweet... I guess I won't be the only one then. I suppose most of my worry is that I'll likely smash it on a rock or something. Not that I'm normally that friendly with rocks, just that it was on there.

I'm also considering the few grams extra weight to my pig. Though I'm planning on slowly working on new wheels over the course of the year.

Maybe it's me, but I've always bent rear rotors and never front...I think that usually because you can steer through an obstacle (ie, rock pile), then your back end gets deflected and knocked around more - hence rear rotor bend?
fallen angel

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the rear rotor I have on my bike now was tweaked from the second day I had it. Had strap in pedals, went down in some gravel. Removed those straps that day. I don't think Ive come too close to bending the front disk yet.. but with the extra 2 inches I wonder.
Jim Mac

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I go through rear 8" rotors 1-2X a season, but don't remember when I bent a front one...now I probably cursed myself!
slave2bacon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your gonna like the big rotor up front. The front brake provides about 80% of your stopping power and the larger rotor is a real boost. I have this set up on my XC ride and I really notice the difference. Just have to make sure you dont hit the 'ejector seat' button. A bit too much brake = hang time.

And dont jinx the bending thing! So far, no worries.
robdamanii

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I love the 7" rotor up front on my rig. It has just that much more power (not that the Formulas need it anyway) and modulates better (in my mind anyway.)
fallen angel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got them on yesterday. Wow that front rotor is huge. I might not be able to try it out when I get home today, my rear wheel spokes are pretty loose, need to fix that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: