Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
My prototype studded snow tire

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bawitdaba

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: My prototype studded snow tire Reply with quote

I just whipped up a studded snow tire today in prep for Gore. I used an old 2.50 DH tire, and 87 size 8-18x3/4 and 87 size 8-18x 1/2 pan head self drilling screws.
The screws were 6 bux for a box of 100 at the hardware store here in town.
I used a 1/16 inch drill bit from the outside, gave the holes a good reaming and had no problem finding the holes on the inside. I used the 3/4 inch screws on the outside edge which gives me a beefy 3/8 of stud? exposure, and the center screws are the 1/2 inch which give me 1/4 of stud? exposure.
It looks like it may be two much exposure for hard surfaces but I'm planning on using these in snow, so we'll see how I make out. I think if I used this design on a hard surface I'd go with the 1/2 screws all around. I'm going to try and use Gorilla tape as a tire liner and if that doesn't work out (flat) I'll go with contact glue and some tire tube material. I was also thinking of trying out one of the liquid rubber product's, I'll let ya know...

Now I need to find another tire, all I have left is a brand new Hutchinson Octopus in 2.30 which if I do use, I'll put up front with a different screw pattern. I think I won that tire at Gore last year... Laughing

Support our heros who have sacrificed for our nation
http://www.fallenheroesfund.org
Tim845

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also wondering if the 3/4" will give you an advantage on the mountain ~I think it might. If they meet hard pack/ice though those knobs will have a tough time not ripping off.
Bawitdaba

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thursday morning I lined the inside of the tires with a thick coat of liquid rubber, it was quite easy to do. Just pour it in and slowly roll the tire until the desired thickness is achieved. I went with thick enough so that I could no longer see the screw heads, but when it dries they do telegraph a bit as you can see in the pic.
We rode around on the driveway last nite, they give awsome traction...it's an odd feeling to be so stable on ice and snow...
Last nite we mounted the tires in prep for Gore, we packed up but we're all sick and early this morning we decided to stay in bed....

On Trav's tire the rubber was thinner so we went with the 1/2 screws only and more of them, it looks like a real good pattern and he thought it felt pretty good.

Tim845

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's liquid rubber found?

The screw heads will wear through a tube of similar thickness, so Im curious to see how the rubber holds up.
I had a similar idea to spray automotive underbody on them. Didnt do it yet.
mtbxtc

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

under coating may be to sticky even when dry
g60dude

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that the liquid rubber that you would put on tool handles?

Bawitdaba

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The liquid rubber is the product that is used on tool handles/grips. I know they have it at Williams and Deuells. I'm sure it would be at the mega places like Home Depot or Lowes. It's 7 or 8 bux a can, I used just under 2 cans on 4 tires.

fjhilde

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Use an old road tire and narrower inner tube Reply with quote

A few of us have pretty good luck with using an old 1.5" or so road tire as a sheath for the 26" inner tube which is usually a narrower model, 1.5-1.75". Cut a small section of the 27" road tire to enable you to install it inside the mtn tire, place the tube inside, and remount the mtn tire. Be careful with using too wide a tire and too long of screws as there may not be enough clearance to the frame for the screws to cleanly pass by. Have also had much success with #6 pan head screws, about $5/box at Davies HW.
Bawitdaba

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We thought about that, do you secure the "liner" in any way or does it just lay in there? We discussed perhaps using contact cement and gluing the liner over the screws, and then the liquid rubber idea was born. I don't know how long the liquid rubber will last though. I guess we'll just have to wait and see...

Tim845

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The road tire liner works fine but hasnt been secured to the tire yet. Having it loose makes the whole thing harder to mount, which is really unwanted if you flat.
My current setup I caulked a strip of tube over the heads, over 50 miles on it last year. I used nearly a whole tube of caulk per tire, and thats something with potential to improve.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: