Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Headset and wheel bearings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wink

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Headset and wheel bearings Reply with quote

I've decided to start doing my own maintenance. I have ordered the big blue book of bicycle maintenance and a park tool set. I also have the DVD - Zen and the art of mountain bike maintenance.

I have a couple questions.

1. What are a good set of headset bearings and what are some good on-line sources for parts?

2. Also need front hub bearings. Same question - good brand and source.

Thanks,

Wink
mtbxtc

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of headset and hubs do you have

for cartridge type bearing hubs there is enduro bearings that offer more balls per bearing race that is able to take more abuse than regular motor bearings

Head set are pretty much vendor specific unless you have the older style bearings were they come in a race and you can pop them in and out.
Kevin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah man, it totally depends on what you currently have.

Unless your headset is really gritty, a simple degrease/clean/grease is plenty. If you have an older bike, be sure to catch all of the ball bearings as they cascade all over your floor.

Hubs, same deal.

What are the specs on the bike you're working on?
g60dude

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One I used recently that I came across is

http://www.treefortbikes.com/

decent prices, never had an issue with shipments

robdamanii

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I particularly like Universalcycles.com for some things, or hanging out a LBS to order small parts. They usually do the best job with small parts, even if it costs a few dollars more.
Wink

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I ride a 07 Epic. I must have gotten water in there and then didn't ride for almost a month. One set seized completely and the other is pretty rough. Bought some grease and have degreaser so I'll try that. I ordered a cane creek integrated set that, from the photo, looks like it may work and got them for a great price. Gives me some options.

Again, thanks!

Greg - I saved that link, thanks
Bawitdaba

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to suggest Cane Creek, been using them on my bikes for years and have NEVER had a failure. If you need something super beefy, take a look at Chris King, but you will pay top dollar.

As far as hubs, I've rebuilt plenty of sealed units right here at home, generally if the spoke holes are not worn and it's not bent, it's worth rebuilding. The last set I did, I got the bearing sets at the Bike Bench http://www.thebikebench.com/ front and rear delivered to my door for less than 40 bux. Bike Bench has lots of small odd stuff that you can't find, as does Harris Cyclery http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/

I know two guys that recycle old used hub sets and rebuild and sell them on eBay, pretty much just doing what I did.
If you think you want to buy new hubs, buy something decent, especially if you ride hard. I'm partial to DT Swiss and American but there are plenty of good ones out there.

You can find great deals on bike stuff through Q Bike http://www.qbike.com/
which is kind of a bike parts search engine, I know I find nearly all of my deals right there.

Congrats on the tools and stuff, if you ever need a hand look me up.

Support our heros who have sacrificed for our nation
http://www.fallenheroesfund.org
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: