Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Concern at Onteora Lake

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Trails
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoneToTheDogs?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Concern at Onteora Lake Reply with quote

A Fats in the Cats member was recently contacted by NYS DEC about a concern at Onteora Lake, part of the Bluestone Wild Forest. Apparently someone had been painting multiple trees with markings which correspond with certain trails ie. red paint markings on the Red Trail and blue paint markings on, you guessed it, the Blue Trail. These trails are designated marked trails which allow bikes. I spoke with Jeff Rider at DEC Region 3 Headquarters today after I witnessed the markings firsthand. The use of paint to further mark trails is of very big concern to the DEC. Using paint on trees is a senseless act, in some places trees are marked with paint every few feet, even where it may be next to a tree with an existing official trail marker. If anyone hears about any further activity like this, please make sure that DEC gets notified. We have offered to assist the DEC with removing or painting over the inappropriate markings following their guidelines.

Russell

tom church

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened a lot in westchester...we followed the markings to campsites where high school kids where having parties...
Tim845

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That ranks up there with the other most senseless BS Ive seen people do Evil or Very Mad

That being said though, I dont think its a secret that getting around our state forests' trails is harder than it needs to be: maps, trail markers, etc.
bikejunkie

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Concern at Onteora Lake Reply with quote

GoneToTheDogs? wrote:
A Fats in the Cats member was recently contacted by NYS DEC about a concern at Onteora Lake, part of the Bluestone Wild Forest. Apparently someone had been painting multiple trees with markings which correspond with certain trails ie. red paint markings on the Red Trail and blue paint markings on, you guessed it, the Blue Trail. These trails are designated marked trails which allow bikes. I spoke with Jeff Rider at DEC Region 3 Headquarters today after I witnessed the markings firsthand. The use of paint to further mark trails is of very big concern to the DEC. Using paint on trees is a senseless act, in some places trees are marked with paint every few feet, even where it may be next to a tree with an existing official trail marker. If anyone hears about any further activity like this, please make sure that DEC gets notified. We have offered to assist the DEC with removing or painting over the inappropriate markings following their guidelines.

Russell

What kind of idiot would do take the time to do that? Kinda looks like what loggers do before they go in and cut. Obviously that's not the case here but.... Has anyone called and spoke to the Forest ranger for the area? She is out on the trails every day.
GoneToTheDogs?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have spoken to the Ranger Marie Ellenbogen and to Jeff Rider at Regional Headquarters. They are very concerned about the inappropriate markings which apparently were made sometime during November. They initially contacted TQ about the concern last week. I assured them that this was not done by our club. They have paint which will be available so we can assist the ranger with covering the red and blue markings. We'll schedule a work day to assist in the spring or if we have a string of warm days, suitable for painting before then. If anyone has any nformation as to who may have done the inappropriate marking, the DEC would like to know.

Russell
TACO SHACK

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoneToTheDogs? wrote:
....They have paint which will be available so we can assist the ranger with covering the red and blue markings....

Confused What color is the paint... 'bark'? I'm a bit Confused here.
Tim845

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably tree colored paint(s).

The 909 was hit by a person with a white spray can a few years ago. Every 10 feet is a constant in your face reminder of the kind of things many come to the woods to escape Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Trails All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: