Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Health Warning On X-Mas Lights

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim845

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Health Warning On X-Mas Lights Reply with quote

This LEAD warning is on many of the common brands of battery powered x-mas lights:

Surprised
bikejunkie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Health Warning On X-Mas Lights Reply with quote

SO DON'T EAT THEM BOYS AND GIRLS!!!!
Tim845

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI:
Lead is a HEAVY METALthat is absorbed through the skin and accumulates in the body.
The more lead youre exposed to over a lifetime, the dumberer you will be. Wink
bikejunkie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedaler845 wrote:
FYI:
Lead is a HEAVY METALthat is absorbed through the skin and accumulates in the body.
The more lead youre exposed to over a lifetime, the dumberer you will be. Wink
Lead Poisoning
Last update 11/06/07

Lead Poisoning
Symptoms of Lead Poisoning
Effects of Lead Poisoning
Lead Absorption and Storage in the Human Body

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lead Poisoning:
Lead poisoning is caused by the absorption of lead into the body through breathing and eating, (inhalation and ingestion). Lead can slowly cause irreversible damage, first to individual cells, then to the organs and whole body systems.

Breathing lead dust from the air is the most frequent source of adult workplace exposure.
Lead is also swallowed and absorbed through the digestive system.
Adults usually transfer lead from their hands to their mouths by contaminated materials and then handling food, cigarettes, chewing tobacco, or make-up.
Children play in lead contaminated house dust and dirt and then swallow the lead with their food. Some children deliberately eat paint or dirt - a habit called 'pica'.
Most lead compounds are not absorbed through the skin (except for tetraethyl lead that used to be in leaded gasoline).

I'd bet your at a much higher risk of lead poisoning if your a painter or contractor working on old houses than you are decorating your bike once a year. Know any painters? Wink
robdamanii

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I recall, those most likely to be affected by lead are lower income families in rundown OLD (often ghetto) homes/apartments. Kids love lead paint chips because lead is sweet to the taste.

Otherwise, people in demolition and remodeling have high exposure rates, especially if they work in older dwellings.
bikejunkie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robdamanii wrote:
If I recall, those most likely to be affected by lead are lower income families in rundown OLD (often ghetto) homes/apartments. Kids love lead paint chips because lead is sweet to the taste.

Otherwise, people in demolition and remodeling have high exposure rates, especially if they work in older dwellings.
I agree, lead is very sweet and tasty. Leaded paint chips are best served in a bowl with milk. Wink
g60dude

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bikejunkie wrote:
I agree, lead is very sweet and tasty. Leaded paint chips are best served in a bowl with milk. Wink

I'll have to try that combo. I was brought up putting it on chili. It actually was a nice combination with the spices

bikejunkie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g60dude wrote:
bikejunkie wrote:

I'll have to try that combo. I was brought up putting it on chili. It actually was a nice combination with the spices
Sounds delicious! I'll have to give it a try.
TriassicDoc
El Presidente

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who was a child btwn the ages of 0 and 9 during the 70's has lead in their bones, incorporated into the crystal structure while their bones were growing, that is slowly being released as we get older. As it releases, it causes ADD.

So, there's your excuse. Or, at least it's *my* excuse. The more growth you did during the 70s, the more lead in your system.

Have Fun!
Forest_biker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bike this

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snoop Dog rules... Cool Cool
TACO SHACK

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robdamanii wrote:
....Otherwise, people in demolition and remodeling have high exposure rates, especially if they work in older dwellings.

Great! That's me! I've been wondering if this headache is something to start worrying about, I've had it for 12 years now...........
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: