Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Solutions for Cold Toes.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Forest_biker

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:08 am    Post subject: Solutions for Cold Toes. Reply with quote

Now that the cooler weather is upon us I suffer from cold toes almost every ride.

I've tried many solutions, but wanted to here from others of their cures for this problem.

I'm trying to steer clear of buying winter specific shoes at least currently, but will probably end up with some in the future.

Things I've tried;

1.Plastic bags over socks Confused
2.Chemical heaters (work okay but I forget to stock up) Smile
3.Wool socks and one size bigger shoes Neutral
4.Sealing all vents in my shoes with tape, paint, silicone. Smile
5.Booties (get destroyed and if they cost $60, I'd rather save for winter shoes) Crying or Very sad

I'd like to hear your solutions and I'm sure there are others who can benefit from this also.

Toes of Ice,
Chris

Tim845

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur, Dr. with all of your above remedies.
Booties, ok for road riding not mtb.
Wool, bags over socks help a small bit.
I tried neoprene socks, didnt help (used socks for sale cheap Confused )

I bought some Lake winter shoes, use them with wool socks, and when really cold I use the chemical toe warmers.
For me, the winter shoes are equal in warmth to booties over regular shoes.
They are far more durable, better for walking (it happens more in winter conditions) and waterproof.

If a source for bulk purchase is found for the chemical toe warmers I'd be interested in splitting it (I see them for $1.50).
SlowPokePete

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedaler845 wrote:
Lake winter shoes, use them with wool socks

That's the winning combo for me, too...

although this morning's ride at Blue (a bit under 40 degrees I think) was fine with my regular shoes and wool socks...

SPP Arrow Very Happy
mtbxtc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know someone who toes freeze in 40 degree weather. He uses hotronic type things, battery powered inserts for the shoe or boot.

The shoe cover things in my opinion suck because they interfere with the
shoe and cranks and is are a bitch two walk in.
Bikegeek

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, would bitch two be the second spouse Question

Woolie Boolie wool socks -

http://www.defeet.com/products/product.php?a=socks&b=40&c=122

Some people use spray-on deodorant to keep the feet from prespiring and getting cold.
TACO SHACK

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm new to all... but I just went this past weekend and we were both fine. 27degrees at ride time, ended up warmer than that, maybe 40 degrees? I also wanted to put on another layer all over but didn't. Maybe it's just me? Jersey and long sleeve cotton top, light and regular pair of sweats, cotton socks, Mechanics shoes, WAS ALL GOOD! Maybe I'm a little immune since I work outside everyday, all day, all year, except for rain?
jamesframes

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cotton kills, so I've heard
MattD

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: cold toes Reply with quote

i just bought my 2nd pr of mtb booties in 5 years after lots of use.they are called Sidetraks, available at bikeway.my toes get cold easily and i have had success with the chemical packs.i sell them at my store and i will sell them to any fats cats for my cost -.85 cents/pk
g60dude

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: cold toes Reply with quote

MattD wrote:
i just bought my 2nd pr of mtb booties in 5 years after lots of use.they are called Sidetraks, available at bikeway.my toes get cold easily and i have had success with the chemical packs.i sell them at my store and i will sell them to any fats cats for my cost -.85 cents/pk

Thanks for the offer Matt. Right now my feet are ok..........When it gets into the teens my toes get a bit chilly. I may have to stop by your store Smile Single digits.........thats too cold for me

Forest_biker

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TACO SHACK wrote:
I know I'm new to all... but I just went this past weekend and we were both fine. 27degrees at ride time, ended up warmer than that, maybe 40 degrees? I also wanted to put on another layer all over but didn't. Maybe it's just me? Jersey and long sleeve cotton top, light and regular pair of sweats, cotton socks, Mechanics shoes, WAS ALL GOOD! Maybe I'm a little immune since I work outside everyday, all day, all year, except for rain?

I agree, If I put flat pedals back on the bike and used my work boots I'd be fine, but I like the extra control and power you get from the clipless pedals.

The main problem is my feet are like......wayyyyy BIG, Shocked and I've always had cold toes while participating in winter sports even as a kid.

This past weekend my toes were fine on Sunday morning's ride. It's usually the night riding when the temperature drops quicky that I feel the freeze.
trekkie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im trying these......
grabber mycoal heat treat toe warmer
comes in a 2 pack lasts 6 hrs $1.49 at modells
i also use the answer winter boot and wool bike socks Very Happy

icy toes Evil or Very Mad warm toes Very Happy
pinklewurst (tschneller)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPHILLS!!!!
bike this

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: cold toes Reply with quote

MattD wrote:
i sell them at my store and i will sell them to any fats cats for my cost -.85 cents/pk

Awesome... Cool
Forest_biker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: cold toes Reply with quote

MattD wrote:

I missed your generous post until Greg told me about it.

I may take you up on that offer when my stock pile runs out, thanks MattD! Very Happy

I've used the Sidetrack booties before but have had a hard time getting them stretched around the shoe. After a while the Velcro in the back wore out.
(My shoe is size 49 and the winter one is size 50 for extra socks, so that a lot of shoe to stretch a bootie around. Shocked )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: