Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Helmet light - JET & Halogen vs HID

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fjhilde

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Helmet light - JET & Halogen vs HID Reply with quote

Hi,
Looking to purchase a new helmet light and came across JET light systems. They've received rave reviews on MTBR. Looking at their website they've got 2 models of interest, HID vs Halogen. It appears that some folks like the color of the halogen vs the blue of HID. The Halogen is their strongest seller based on the site. I'm leaning towards the 20w halogen w/ smart switch and perhaps indicator.
Thanks.
bikejunkie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm my opinion, it is a lot easier to see detail with the HID light over the Hologen. Of course, I didn't know the difference until I got an HID. I'm sure the bigest selling point of hologen over HID is price. I personally have not heard of anyone who prefers the light of a Hologen over and HID but thats just me and you should go with your gut feeling.
g60dude

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know if I've ever seen the Jet Halogens light in person. I have been seeing on MTBR alot of people saying good things about it. But, being a person who owned a halogen and now an HID, there is just no comparison. The HID in my eyes is 100% better. With the halogens I was running one on my helmet as well as one on my handlebars. When the guys I road with at nights starting getting HID's they started pulling away on decents because they werent outrunning their lights. Now I have an HID on my helmet and i feel it puts off more light than my two halogens. I never get that feeling of not having enough light

Tim845

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g60dude wrote:
The HID in my eyes

That'll burn!
Forget halogen. Doug K has the Jet HID. Dont sweat the blue either, its not that blue.
Kevin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, does anyone have an experience with a high output LED system? See a killer deal on a good LED or HID system? Please share!
robdamanii

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin wrote:
So, does anyone have an experience with a high output LED system? See a killer deal on a good LED or HID system? Please share!

From an lighting standpoint, high output leds still haven't hit the level of power a HID will give. They need a few more years development at least. Until then, a HID is your best bet for massively bright.
Kevin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just threw down the coin for a Jet Blast HID (helmet mount). So yeah, I'll definitely see everyone (pun intended) on the trails as soon as I get it.

Kevin
slave2bacon

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H Fing I D. You wont be sorry.
mike stopski

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Fing HID Reply with quote

I've never heard of that Fing Brand Wink , but I do know that at my particular level of riding (intermediate), I find myself (regularly) riding beyond my Night-Pro Halogen lights (with one on my helmet, and one on my bars).

The idea of spending the extra coin on an HID system may not always be easy to justify, but when you compare the idea of an increased level of adrenaline (directly related to riding "blind" on those gnarly, high speed descents) vs. the idea of an increased level of risk to bodily harm (and time away from work?), I think the choice is pretty clear.

I will admit that my halogens worked perfectly fine when I first got them (and still do), and everyone else was running them as well (HID wasn't common yet), but as soon as HID's hit the group, everything changed. I'm one of the few hold-outs now in my Wed night group, but that "Coin" thing won't be in the way much longer now!

If I were to add 2cents more, my personal preference would be Helmet mount over bar mount. It's real nice to have light where you are looking instead of where your bars point. And not to mention that one could get dizzy watching the light bounce around when mounted on the bars.

OK, that's my 32 cents..........
g60dude

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin wrote:
I just threw down the coin for a Jet Blast HID (helmet mount). So yeah, I'll definitely see everyone (pun intended) on the trails as soon as I get it.

Kevin

You will love it Kevin............The HID just gives you that much more confidence. Not that you need it, because you are always in the front of the pact anyways

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: