Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
909*411

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Trails
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim845

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: 909*411 Reply with quote

The DEC has requested that the 909 map be removed from this website.
The main reason given is erosion concerns for the steepness of some trails.

Hopefully the DEC will give us the opportunity to reroute problem areas.
TBC.
jamesframes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

are we to blame the new ranger?
Bawitdaba

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does the removal of the map have to do with erosion....we can't ride there or something?

Support our heros who have sacrificed for our nation
http://www.fallenheroesfund.org
GoneToTheDogs?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some clarification:

As you all should know, all features and information on our website is open to the public including our forum threads, maps, etc.

As advocates of developing and maintaining mountain bike trails, we need to respect the wishes of public and private land managers. Fats in the Cats has made great strides in forming positive relationships with many different agencies, public and private, throughout the Mid-Hudson region including the NY State Dept of Environmental Conservation, the National Park Service, Scenic Hudson, IMBA, county agencies, town recreation departments, etc.

That said, the DEC Ranger responsible for Taconic-Hereford MUA, has made a request of our club. We currently have a written Stewardship agreement with the DEC for that area. The ranger has identified some issues after a review of the map which was on our website and on Bikerag.com. The map has been removed from both sites until issues are resolved. My understanding is that this is not the first time that concerns have been noted, but this is the first formal request that I am aware of.

The specifics include what was referred to as a couple of problems that need to be fixed before the map can be posted on the kiosks:

A boundary line for the area needs to be included.

Any trails that go off of the State land to private land can NOT be included.
(RT note: probably unless there is an easement or formal permission from the private land owner)

Because of the topography of the sites along trails A,B,I,O and T, it would be appreciated if riders would refrain from using these routes. (RT note: A = Fong's Way; B = Snowmobile; I = Bykhed; O = Camp; T = Getaway)

Erosion is a serious concern on the steep slopes.

The area is already wrecked as far as wildlife habitat is concerned, staying on DEC marked and maintained trails would be appreciated.

This request comes on the heels of a very successful weekend at the National Park Service property in Hyde Park with IMBA and a large contingent of Fats in the Cats members who showed up to demonstrate their commitment to working on sensible trail design and reclamation of damaged areas. The skills which were learned by those committed people, are the same which can be used to improve and enhance the trail system at Taconic-Hereford (909).

Tim and myself have already been in touch with the Ranger about the possibility of meeting to discuss the areas of concern, namely erosion sites for possible rerouting and reclamation.

Trails don't come for free...and we have a responsibility to work positively with land managers in order to earn the right to put our tires on the ground in an environmentally responsible manner.

Russell

Last edited by GoneToTheDogs? on Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
burtondogs

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GoneToTheDogs? wrote:

This request comes on the heels of a very successful weekend at the National Park Service property in Hyde Park with IMBA and a large contingent of Fats in the Cats members who showed up to demonstrate their commitment to working on sensible trail design and reclamation of damaged areas. The skills which were learned by those committed people, are the same which can be used to improve and enhance the trail system at Taconic-Hereford (909).

I am all for this.
Many of the trails at 909 trails could use some improvements.
Sign me up for whatever work needs to be done to help make this happen.

Everyone from the DEC that I have met at 909 seem like really cool , reasonable folks.
I am sure that this will end up being very positive for our Forest and our Trails.

Later
Jim
tom church

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can help out with the bounday info...

I need to know what horizontal datum the GPS data is in.

Also if the DEC has a survey or boundary descriptions that will help me on the research front...

BTW I am a land surveyor...this is what i do...

Who is the new ranger? The last name is not Filmer is it?

Tom
Bawitdaba

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I apologize fror my ignorance. I had no idea, but I am more that happy to play by the rules...I guess I should read more and post less.....

Support our heros who have sacrificed for our nation
http://www.fallenheroesfund.org
jamesframes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fyi- big bee's nest on gut trail- located on side of trai in the groundl and is very active! BEE WARE!
slave2bacon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When do we get out there an start a-fixing trails? I'm sure DEC would be psyched to get problem areas resolved and we now have the knowledge to turn blown out sections of trail into something sustainable and fun. Thank you IMBA.

Maybe we should schedule a work date and follow up with DEC?
robdamanii

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamesframes wrote:
fyi- big bee's nest on gut trail- located on side of trai in the groundl and is very active! BEE WARE!

The gut trail...the nasty one down IN the gut? Where is this nasty bee's nest?
fjhilde

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:26 pm    Post subject: Property Boundaries and GPS way points Reply with quote

tom church wrote:
I can help out with the bounday info...

I need to know what horizontal datum the GPS data is in.

Also if the DEC has a survey or boundary descriptions that will help me on the research front...

BTW I am a land surveyor...this is what i do...

Who is the new ranger? The last name is not Filmer is it?

Tom

Tom,
Is it possible to use the Dutchess County parcel access site: http://geoaccess.co.dutchess.ny.us/parcelaccess/ to superimpose way points ontop of property maps? This site shows the property boundaries although I don't know how to relate those boundaries to a GPS file with way points. I was testing by using the property of Scenic Hudson in Hyde Park. Search for Scenic Hudson and pick the first entry in the list.
Bikegeek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a site for Putnam County as well Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Trails All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: