Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Spare Derailleur Hanger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim845

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:04 pm    Post subject: Spare Derailleur Hanger Reply with quote

The rear derailleur is the most vulnerable part on a multi-geared bike. This time of year its an especially precarious item with the fallen leaves covering twigs/rocks/etc. The derailleur's hanger is a separate replaceable part that's designed to break before the derailleur under stress. Its easily replaced and is likely to repair the damage. They typically are $20 from your local dealer and easily fit into your pack.
Crying or Very sad The rider who is unprepared with 1 on a group ride should be shamed into cleaning the clubhouse! Twisted Evil
bikejunkie

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, the last to times I had a stick get caught in my drive train the derailleur broke, not the hanger. Guess we should all carry an extra derailleur as well. Come to think of it, I had a freehub go bad a while back. Guess I should carry one of those too. I know someone who had a shock blow out last weekend, He should have had an extra! I think I will start carrying a complete spare bicycle. Rolling Eyes My vote is we all get rid of gears completely and ride singles or, even better, fully rigid fixies with solid rubber tires. Oh, wait, what if the frame cracks? Dam, here we go again!!!!

Sorry Tim couldn't resist Razz
g60dude

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good tip Tim. I actually need to get an extra for my Marin......Always carried one for my Cannondale. For me though, anytime Ive had a stick get caught in the derailleur, it toasted the derailleur and the hanger was still in perfect shape. Or you could be like what happened to Stopski last week up at Round Top. He had a stick get caught up, flipped the derailleur up. The derailleur looked fine and the hanger was shot. The problem was, the hanger also ripped a piece of his frame off. Evil or Very Mad

mike stopski

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Spare hanger... Reply with quote

...wouldn't have done enough for me last Wednesday, as Greg mentioned. My chain was tweaked, a jockey wheel was broken, and a poor design caused a mounting ear (for the hanger) to break off of the seat stay. Talk about the "Best Ride Ever!"

Needless to say, Tim, I do agree that it is a small and simple part worth having that could mean the difference between riding out and walking out! (Or the difference between the Best Ride Ever, and NOT the BRE!)

Anyway, awesome update: Specialized is warranteeing seat stay, shipping ASAP, and IN COLOR. Sweet!!

Word has it that Fox has updated lower bushing fix for my rear shock as well. I'll update when I see it. Should have my ride all one color and in one piece again by weekend. PSYCHE!
g60dude

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Spare hanger... Reply with quote

mike stopski wrote:

Anyway, awesome update: Specialized is warranteeing seat stay, shipping ASAP, and IN COLOR. Sweet!!

Thats great news dude.........

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: