Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
DEC Proposes Earlier Black Bear Hunting In Catskills

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim845

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:30 pm    Post subject: DEC Proposes Earlier Black Bear Hunting In Catskills Reply with quote

DEC proposes earlier black bear hunting in Catskills

ALBANY — Conservation officials want to expand the hunting season for black bears in the Catskills and surrounding areas because of the animal’s growing population and more incidents at people’s homes.

The public will have 45 days to comment on the Department of Environmental Conservation plan to advance the bear season by two days to Nov. 17, matching the start of the regular deer season.

DEC spokesman Yancey Roy says biologists estimate there are 6,000 or 7,000 black bears in New York compared with 4,000 or 5,000 in 1995. The number of times bears entered homes in the Catskills region searching for food ranged from 21 to 45 in each of the past three years, up from a handful before that.

Hunting seasons in other regions would stay the same.
burtondogs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: DEC Proposes Earlier Black Bear Hunting In Catskills Reply with quote

Seems like a pretty dumb reason to kill more Bear.

Maybe they just want the people who will be buying Condos up at Belleayre to feel more comfortable.

I have not seen any 909 Bear this year. Any sightings?

Later
Jim
g60dude

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: DEC Proposes Earlier Black Bear Hunting In Catskills Reply with quote

burtondogs wrote:

I have not seen any 909 Bear this year. Any sightings?

Later
Jim

None at 909, but did see a bear up at Jockey Hill this spring

Kevin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT'S ONLY TWO DAYS EARLIER! GET OVER IT! The dent on the bear harvest will probably not even be noticeable.

For the record, the official bear harvest for the 2006/2007 season was 365.

2005 = 493
2004 = 257
2003 = 399
2002 = 278
2001 = 208
2000 = 287
1999 = 112
1998 = 272

And I could go on and on...

NYS DEC reports in 2005: "In the past few years, we have seen healthy black bear populations in all areas of the state, making New York one of the premier locations for black bear hunting in the Northeast," Commissioner Sheehan said. "New York has excellent bear habitat and vast, accessible public lands that offer exciting opportunities for hunting and viewing wild bears in their natural settings. Bear populations have been increasing in number and expanding in range throughout much of southern New York State, a fact evidenced in this year's bear harvest."

So, I ask, why all of the disgust with hunting here on the forum? Please get rid of the Disney "Bambi" mentality and think of hunting in the bigger picture.

Hunting is a perfectly ok form of land management. We have government laws in place to protect species from being over hunted, and as bear population numbers show, NYS is in no danger of over hunting black bears at this time.

As populations of humans and bears both increase, of course interaction will happen...simple as that.
burtondogs

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin wrote:
IT'S ONLY TWO DAYS EARLIER! GET OVER IT! The dent on the bear harvest will probably not even be noticeable.

This is exactly my point.

I do not understand why the DEC is citing Human / Bear interaction as being the reason for the change.

If more people would just use common sense with food , garbage, pet food , etc. around their property , the Bear would stay out of trouble.
The Bear are not the problem.

I wish somebody would kill some of these damn Coyotes though.

Later
Jim
Tim845

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Young Kevin, Ive got a problem with blasting crows and leaving them, kapisch Question

Its been an unusually quiet bear year @ the 909.
bikejunkie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pedaler845 wrote:
Young Kevin, Ive got a problem with blasting crows and leaving them, kapisch Question
How did we get from bears to crows? Confused The fact of the matter is, Hunters pay a lot of money to the state each year for the right to manage the game population for the state. The bottom line is, wheather you like giving up your riding areas each year or not, resposible "hunters" have just as much right to their time in the woods as You or I. You/we are only inconvenienced during hunting season from dawn to dusk each day. Since "most" of us have full time jobs that suck up the majority to the waining daylight, it's really not much of an issue. That's why god invented H.I.Ds! Rolling Eyes Now, with that said, perhaps there should be another season where we all go out and hunt the "individuals" who bring paint cans and other junk into the woods to shoot and then leave. Twisted Evil
BillB3
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bears aren't the problem, it's those damn Roadies!
trekkie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BillB3 wrote:
Bears aren't the problem, it's those damn Roadies!

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Exclamation
cfury

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a bear yesterday afternoon at Jockey Hill. Of all places it was crossing the road near the "Bear" trail entrance. I estimate around 150lbs. or so.
pinklewurst (tschneller)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Dig Hill Bear Report Reply with quote

Dug Hill Bear report for Aug/ Sept.
Mon AM Aug 13th
Riding with dogs (cause you were working ha ha ) and a 250lb bear was on a trail near Canary Hill. He ran away, the dogs chased him for a minute and came back.

Fri. AM Aug 17th
Saw bear while driving on bottom of Dug Hill near last turn before Hurley Mt.

Sun - Thus Aug.19th - 23rd
Bear tried to get into trash in wood shed every night. Dogs were barking in early morning. (Hunting season almost started eary!!) Went to dump on Fri. No more bear. (Racoon was found in an empty garbage can recently too)

Mon Sept. 3rd
Evidence of bear activity on trail near house, large rock flipped over into trail, scratches on tree.

Wed. Sept. 5th
More bear evidence... A hollow rotted tree near trail on bottom of Dug Hill ripped to shreds! A squirrels winter stash spread all over the ground, nuts all over. Thought I saw the bear but I was haulin' out of there!!

Thus. Sept 6th
My wife and son almost hit a baby bear near bus turn on Dug Hill. The little one came bolting out of no where!

There are bear out there and they love garbage and and bird feeders. If you live in the woods and you are stupid enough to leave your screen door open at night or place a bird feeder on the porch, then a bear is likely to visit. They are omnivores and scavengers. If people are allowed to build in the forest then they should expect all sorts of natural invaders like racoons that eat trash, fishers and owls that kill cats, deer that wipe out half the garden, chipmunks that dig holes all over and steal tomatoes.
I don't hunt them because I look at hunting like a bike shop owner looks at building bikes up, its work! I would do it if I needed food. I don't mind hunters, they want open space and they provide some population control. They certainly are better than having large mountain lions to do the job. Two days of extra season?? If it rains, most modern hunters will stay home or at the diner.
Tom
PS Have some fun and put a salmon on string and hang it from a tree in the back yard. Grab a spotlight and watch that bear do tricks! Idea
Tim845

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed a lot of the obvious bear signs like moved rocks...pretty sure it was the groove trail where a new small clearing had been opened in a few spots where they'd knocked down dead trees.
Some of the rocks were moved moto style though, even on parts of the edge trail. Evil or Very Mad That now fancy pile of debris looks just like a trailhead!
burtondogs

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: .. Reply with quote

The only signs I notice at 909 are the anthill's that look like something has been digging in them.

If you want to learn more about black bear from the comfort of your lay-z-boy check out this DVD from the DEC. good stuff.

http://tinyurl.com/35zosx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: