Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
IMBA Trail Care Crew in Hyde Park Sept 13-16

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Trails
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GoneToTheDogs?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: IMBA Trail Care Crew in Hyde Park Sept 13-16 Reply with quote

It's great to see the popularity of the Hyde Park Brewery Trails on our forums. It looks like the number of riders enjoying the trails there is increasing. And the rides are generating very favorable reviews.

A significant parcel of land where the trails are located was recently conveyed to the National Park Service (NPS) from Scenic Hudson. There are also significant parcels adjacent to the NPS property, including a Land Trust.

The NPS Rivers, Trails and Conservation Assistance (RTCA) Program Coordinator invited IMBA to come to Hyde Park. Fats in the Cats has the unique opportunity to work on the trail system with the National Park Service and IMBA. Frank Hildenbrand (fjhilde on the forums) has taken on a lead role for our club and is doing a fantastic job with planning. This project has the potential to lead to the development and validation of trails throughout the town of Hyde Park.

Love those Hyde Park Trails? The success of upcoming 4 day IMBA visit and trail development in Hyde Park depends on your participation and leadership. Please mark the dates on your calendars! This opportunity to have validated trails on National Park Service land is huge!

Russell
GoneToTheDogs?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At our meeting this evening following Frank's excellent presentation on planning for the IMBA visit to Hyde Park. Next up was a nice slideshow presentation by Dave detailing his bike trip on the Continal Divide Trail network. Just got home to find the IMBA News in my inbox. There is an article about the banning of bikes from the Continental Divide Trail! (story in the following link) You can post a comment from the link if you wish. Think getting involved with IMBA and the National Park Service in Hyde Park isn't important???? You can make a positive difference in preserving and developing trails! Please support the IMBA Trail Care Crew visit.
http://imba.com/news/action_alerts/07_07/07_03_divide_trail.html

Also, trails (singletrack and dirt roads which allow bikes) on National Park Service Lands are extremely limited. The following link lists all of it in 50 states! Formally establishing a trail system on National Park Service property in Hyde Park is HUGE!
http://www.imba.com/resources/agencies/nps_dirt_trails.html

Russell
slave2bacon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hyde Park trails will be the ONLY singletrack network on National Park lands in the Northeast, and will be one of five that are east of the Mississippi.

A real live singletrack network on National Park lands is very rare. The upcoming IMBA event will be a great milestone for IMBA and the NPS, and for the Hyde Park trails. If you'd like to get involved to make this event a sucess, please contact Russel. We will need help with a wide variety of planning before the event and help throughout the 4 day long IMBA visit.

Remember what Stinky sez!
Kevin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great presentation at the meeting last night!

I am writing it in on my calendar for Saturday, and most likley Sunday as well. And not to speak for her, but I believe Samantha will be doing the same.
GoneToTheDogs?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Preparations for Hyde park IMBA visit Reply with quote

There will be a meeting this week, probably Thursday, with representatives of the National Park Service, Hyde Park Recreation Commission, and some Fats members in order to firm up some plans for the IMBA visit. There will be opportunities for members to get involved and coordinate events before, during, and after the visit. There will be positions available in the areas of getting sponsors, event preparation, food, snacks, meals, hospitality, advertising, publicity, media relations, postering, invitations of key individuals, leading a ride(s), cleanup etc. Please be thinking about areas that you want to sign up for in order to insure a successful weekend September 13-16.

Thanks!

Russell
fjhilde

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Volunteers sought to help with our Hyde Park Event Reply with quote

Hello everyone,
As Russell pointed out we are planning to meet with the groups responsible for much of the land we would like to have trail access to this Thursday, the NPS, Hyde Park Rec, and potentially Winnikee Land Trust. The goals of this meeting include a few we saw last Weds; obtain agreement on mission of this endeavor (more trails to ride) and identifying where and which areas we will have near and long term access to. We're figuring on keeping this meeting to a somewhat manageable level so we can focus on the aforementioned tasks. There will be more open meetings in the coming weeks to get everyone engaged and get the ball rolling.
The organizational areas we could use some leadership on include:
  • Advertising - P. Nimmer
  • Event preparation - meeting areas/rooms, water stations, parking, toilets, ...
  • Sponsors - drum up some funding, equipment, schwag, people, perhaps they could host a game or something entertaining
  • Cleanup - garbage cans/bags, pick-up for event trash as well as big stuff from trail work. I have some contact info of someone on HP board that's offered to help, trail building tools (shovel, sledge, rake, gloves, etc)
  • Political contacts - investigate if anyone current or future politician would like to participate in our cause. Names to consider M. Hinchey, H. Clinton (not too far fetched as she and Bill visited the FDR estate not too long ago), B. Steinhaus, John Hall, Hyde Park Town Council, etc.
Drop me a line if you can find some time: [email protected]
bikejunkie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can offer up some tools and some sweat for at least a good half day, hopefully more. I have to see how my schedule is going to play out and then I can give you a better idea. I wish I could be there all 4 days, it actually sounds like It was going to be alot of fun and a great learing experience.
sick4surf

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be passing thru the area on my way up to Albany for a NY State Trails Council meeting and would like to attend one day of the event. I know Thursday and Friday is usually set aside for land managers, maybe I can attend on Friday? Let me know.

Our club has about 100 miles of trails across LI that we have built and currently maintain and we just helped reverse the ban on mountain biking within NYC parks. We now have new mountain bike trails and a dirt jump section in two NYC Parks with more in the planning stages.

We usually invite all the park managers from a fifty mile radius to attend the IMBA seminar when they come to LI. You never know who might want to develop new trails after seeing the presentation.
Trips for Kids Affiliate
NY State Trails Council Member
Tim845

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sick4surf wrote:

We usually invite all the park managers from a fifty mile radius to attend the IMBA seminar when they come to LI. You never know who might want to develop new trails after seeing the presentation.

Thanks, that is an excellent tip...
I think if there was 1 best day to attend (for an IMBA rep), we'll learn that at the next and final pre-date meeting with the NPS and Town of Hyde Park meeting?

Local riders, you are very much needed to attend, lend some sweat, etc! A few hours, or more.
If youve ever wondered how "no bikes" signs appear on trails, September 13-16 is the time to "represent."
Idea
fjhilde

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject: IMBA Trail Care Crew Visit Reply with quote

Hi Mike,
I've added you to our list of contacts and when our 4 day agenda shapes up a bit more will send you more details.
fjhilde

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: Heads-up - Goodguys Custom Car Show in Rhinebeck Sept 14-16 Reply with quote

Goodguys Custom Car Show in Rhinebeck Sept 14-16

Just a heads-up if you know anyone looking for a hotel room, restaurant service and such the same weekend as our HP Trails event.
g60dude

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been seeing the agenda listings for when IMBA is showing up to Hyde Park. Do we just show up, or do we need to sign up somewhere? I don't think I can be around for the full weekend, but would definitely like to show some support.

burtondogs

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

g60dude wrote:
I've been seeing the agenda listings for when IMBA is showing up to Hyde Park.

Where did you see an agenda ??

Thanks
Jim
BillB3
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burtondogs wrote:
g60dude wrote:
I've been seeing the agenda listings for when IMBA is showing up to Hyde Park.

Where did you see an agenda ??

Thanks
Jim

Coming soon!
slave2bacon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The agenda other details about the weekend will be up on the site soon. The Trail Care Crew will be in town for 4 days, and Saturday the 15th will be the big event. So mark your calendars for that day.

IMBA will be teaching a trail building school at 9 AM on the 15th, with some single track construction to follow. We will have a group ride at Hyde Park about 3 PM, with a social event at the Brewery afterwards.

We'd love to get a big turnout of from the club (in addition to normal people too).

There will be other events from the 13th throught the 16th, including group rides with the IMBA crew at Jockey Hill, and a BBQ. Stay tuned for all the details.

We will be needed some help from club members. So dont be surprised if you get asked to help out with some of the weekend activities. Or better yet, post up and Volunteer.

Fats in the Cats are the main hosts for the IMBA crew and it's our chance to shine.
sick4surf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang, I won't be able to make it. I have a meeting in Albany with NY State Parks Commissioner and the NY State Trails Council from 10am-3pm on Saturday the 15th.
Trips for Kids Affiliate
NY State Trails Council Member
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Trails All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: