Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Mavi Cross Max SLRs.........Ugh turns to AHHH

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance
View previous topic :: View next topic  
g60dude

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 8:14 pm    Post subject: Mavi Cross Max SLRs.........Ugh turns to AHHH Reply with quote

8 months old and already a blown freewheel........... Billy at OMB is taking care of me and it's greatly appreciated. Luv the man !!!! But why is it that my Shimano LOW end wheel will last forever and the wheel with some $$$$$ involved lasts only 8 months?????............Thank you Mavic for letting me enjoy a 45 minute walk out of the woods Twisted Evil

I should have listened to others describing their experiences with Mavic

Last edited by g60dude on Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tim845

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its my experience that the low end Mavics also last longer than the Crossmax.
I was 1 pedaling it yesterday with my 2nd eggbeater off the spindle in 3 months. But at least I wuz riding Confused
robdamanii

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hence the reason I'm done using Mavic wheelsets.

My Crossmax XLs are nice and functional again after new pawls and springs. From everything I've read, the crappy design of the freehub lends it to failure if you don't care for it once a month or so. So far, my XTRs have been excellent. Beth's Hopes have been bombproof. Ever since my freehub locked up at the Fat Tire Fest, I've been decidedly anti-mavic hubs.

IMHO, there are MUCH better alternatives to Mavic wheelsets. I hate proprietary spokes, I really dislike the way the freehub is designed, and I'm not at all a fan of their service requirements.
g60dude

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update:

Was just up at Overlook today. I was told my wheel came back from Mavic. Billy pulls it out and here it is, in a new Mavic bag. What was in the bag? A brand new rear wheel Very Happy Very Happy Being 8 months old, I really thought I was gonna have warranty work done on my existing wheel.,which still would have been fine. Mavic totally happily surprised me. I'm pleased they backed their product. And thanks Billy for helping the downtime be very minimal.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Repair & Maintenance All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: