Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
STEWART!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joejet

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject: STEWART! Reply with quote

I am writing this post for my concern about the illegal dirt bike riding at Stewart. I see good singletrack getting ruined and dirt bike trails intersecting with singletrack. My concern is that somebody is going to get hurt and they will close it down. I have seen this many times over the years. I am not writing this because i don't like dirt bikes.I have been riding and racing motocross for twenty five years. If you are good advocate of your sport you would not be doing this. Anybody who lives in the area and rides Stewart knows exactly who these people are. I saw them congregating before a ride Wednesday afternoon.The real shame is that at least one of the guys riding back there is a mountain biker. With a little investigation this can be curtailed. I could no longer be silent about what i am seeing. What they are doing is wrong and it is going to ruin it for everybody.
GG
Veep

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there!

Your feelings are totally justified and many of us share them. Unfortunately, the Stewards of Stewart (SOS) disbanded and this may have given the signal to the dirt bikers that even fewer people are watching and working to fix the damage they do. Their mentality is that a. they are unlikely to get caught because there are 2 En Con officers for like all of Orange County and b. if they do get caught, the ticket they pay is basically the cost of admission to ride their dirt bikes all over Stewart. If they just rode in a more responsible manner that didn't trash the trails, it would be different but they leave huge ruts and just ride anywhere and everywhere so it's really causing a lot of damage.

Unfortunately the dissolution of the SOS has left a gaping hole in the stewardship of Stewart that needs to be filled. Who will step up? Fats can help with tools and publicity of trail work days but most of our members don't live near Stewart and our trail stewardship efforts are focused on other properties and trail networks.

So, I'll ask again...who will step up?
kate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think more people will read this if it's on FB. Is there a way to repost on the Fats- Group page and then I'll share it with other groups. Perhaps Bikeway may be a potential source of assistance?
GG
Veep

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you could post to fb that would be great! Thanks Kate!
MetalMike

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Stewart trail maintenance Reply with quote

Hi, Bikeway is taking up the mantle to help maintain these trails but they could use help from us. Are we up for helping? I know that we have in the past and now it seems urgent because of the mass of illegal activity (trails, motorcycles, atv's) burgeoning in these woods. What can we do?
GG
Veep

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay Bikeway! Well we can put out the all call for volunteers, post up to our social links about work days and work that needs to be done and hopefully people will show up!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: