Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Ride the New Trail at Sterling Forest

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Trails
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sick4surf

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Ride the New Trail at Sterling Forest Reply with quote

Ride the New Trail at Sterling Forest

Thanks to the big trail work crew we had last Saturday we punched through and connected the two parking lots. There now is a 3.5 mile out and back trail that would total 7 miles.

I rode it yesterday and it is fun! Not like anything else you have ridden. Start at the trailhead off Long Meadow Rd just north and adjacent to the mulch pile.

Ride down the fire road past the lake then look for a right turn into the single track. At the next fork go right then follow the fresh trail, look for where the trail leave the fire roads onto single track. When you get to the South Gate Parking lot turn around and head back.

Trailforks segment:
http://www.trailforks.com/trails/redback-wip/
Trips for Kids Affiliate
NY State Trails Council Member
Henrik

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rode this today. Awesome trail work and a joy to ride. Lots of work evident and appreciated. Beautiful woods (I'm biased here). Definitely better in the North to South direction. I'd recommend parking at the South Gate parking area and riding to Long Meadow Road, then back. Great flow trail. Not too technical, I rode the whole thing without crashing! Link this with the woods roads around Sterling Lake and then north for a nice ride with great scenery.
mkf

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Imho, trail rides nicely in the north direction also. South Gate trailhead is a dirt lot shortly after the golf course. Hunting seems popular, but most were out by noon. At the top of the ridge the red trail markers make a 90 degree turn downhill. If riding north, do not follow them, go straight on the the new unmarked section. You'll eventually come out at an abandoned house and Long Meadow Rd just north of the above mentioned mulch pile. I took the road back after exploring some of the historic sites .
sick4surf

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eventually the trail will link up to some historic sites and lakes. the new section that is not built yet will go by a seasonal waterfall as well as a power line view of distant peaks.

Rides great but different in both directions.
Trips for Kids Affiliate
NY State Trails Council Member
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Trails All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: