Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Overlook Mountain - Looking for a long climb / Several ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bordeauxman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 1:50 pm    Post subject: Overlook Mountain - Looking for a long climb / Several ? Reply with quote

I've never been on the Overlook Mountain trail but I do plan on checking it out in the near future and I have a few questions. I would plan on parking in Woodstock and riding from there. Probably an out and back course.

* Is it single track or double track? How technical?
* Is it marked and/or easy to follow?
* Is the trail to the Pediger Rd. trail head marked? Different color blaze?
* Are there any other trails that connect that are open to MTBs?

Thanks in advance,

Jeremy
jamesframes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Park in woodstock.

Head up Meads Mtn Road (paved, 2 miles, 1000 ft gain)

Head up double track to overlook firetower (marked, dirt, about 2 miles, 1500 ft gain)= total 4 mi/ 2500 ft climb

Head back down or take the trail (primitive bike corridor) out towards Platte Clove Rd (paved). Descend and head 10 miles paved back into woodstock.

There are many options to connect other parcels. You can get 6k climb in about 14 miles...or you can save time and just punch yourself in the junk a few times.

Other climbs: Just rode the Cross Mountain Crusher course-some great long dirt road climbs, aumick rd in new paltz is a close to a 3 mi, 2000 ft climb, mt beacon access road

Support your LBS-Bicycle Depot New Paltz NY
bordeauxman

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JM,

Thnx. What is the closest trail/parcel that you would recommend adding on to the Overlook Trail? Is Devil's Path open/recommended for MTBs?

I'll pass on punching myself in the junk because i am usually able to do that with the bike one way or another.

I'll take a look at the CMC course and I really enjoy the Awosting Reserve climb from Aumick. I've done it 5 or 6 times this summer.

Thnx Jeremy
jamesframes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

prob north south lake climbing from the hardenburgh lot. There is another no bikes mountain in between...it could be rideable, but most will not enjoy it.

Starting at jockey hill, some pavement, then the overlook ride is nice...onteora can be added.

Support your LBS-Bicycle Depot New Paltz NY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: