Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Vermont Explore-

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamesframes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Vermont Explore- Reply with quote

The few days in VT has made me want more...where are the good spots and how much riding is there?

I know:

Kingdom

Ascutney

Millstone

I have heard about Rutland

Where is a good base camp to travel and hour or so to hit many places?

Thanks!

Support your LBS-Bicycle Depot New Paltz NY
MetalMike

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I love Vermont too and covered Kingdom in detail over the 3 day festival and have been asking myself the same question you are and in my search found this: http://www.bicycling.com/rides/destinations/vermonts-10-best-mountain-bike-trails

I hope the link helps. I know the camping in Stowe in Smuggler's Cove State Park is private and beautiful and near Rutland I camped at Emerald Lake State Park near Dorset which was also private and beautiful with mtb trails in nearby Dorset.
BillZekas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for campgrounds, but Waterbury is a good central spot. From there, within 40 minutes you can hit Waterbury's Perry Hill, Stowe, Waitsfield, Millstone, Hinesburg. Kingdom Trails is about 1 hour, 20 minutes. Green Mountain Trails in Pittsfield is about the same, as is Ascutney.

Perry Hill: About 2 good hours of riding, some challenging techie trails.
Stowe: About 2 hours of fine fun trails in town, plus some good trails up by Trapp's (including Kimmers). There's way to connect trails and dirt roads between both, but you need a local to show you.
Waitsfield: About 3.5 to 4-ish hours of old school goodness there, with a little new machine-made thrown in. Stark Mtn Bike Works may have paper maps. You can also get info from Mad River Riders sites on the internet, which is how I first figured them out.
I haven't ridden Hinesburg yet, but Tim K. says it's real good.
Green Mountain Trails: Good flowy climbs and fun descents: 2.5 hours?
Pine Hill trails in Rutland are also fun, but fairly tame and maybe 2 hours of riding?

Let me know if you need more info.
BillZekas

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should say estimated riding times were for more normal human beings. For you, Jamie, multiply by 50%!!!
jamesframes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent Bill! Thanks for your local intel!

Support your LBS-Bicycle Depot New Paltz NY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> General All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: