Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
NYS Trails Council Meeting
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TriassicDoc
El Presidente

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:18 pm    Post subject: NYS Trails Council Meeting Reply with quote

This will be on 4/15. I will be attending the meeting. Please let me know if you have any trails issues that you would like for me to discuss.

On the list:
1. Signs for 909--what can we do to get signs put up? We have offered to pay for the signs, but the DEC is apparently not in favor. I am just going to ask for their opinions and see if there is anything behind the scenes that we are not aware of--I promise to report back with any advice or concerns that we should be aware of.

2. Multiuse trail/s from Walkway to John Burroughs. This is still in its infancy, so I do not have much to report, except that we are making efforts to have this happen--this will be a trail system that will incorporate hiking, biking, and paddling trails with a new boat launch at Black Creek.

Other types of issues you may want information about:
--Maintenance issues at any of the places you ride
--Trail work days you have been involved in (I am sure Mike Vitti will be reporting on Sterling Forest)
--What is going on at Stewart? I can report on this if someone wants me to pass along information. I will contact the Stewards of Stewart to see if they have any info.

What else have we been doing?

Cheers!

Samantha
Forest_biker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SIGNS ARE A BAD IDEA.

Last edited by Forest_biker on Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tim845

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent points Chris
kate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn those hooligans!!

Last edited by kate on Mon Mar 21, 2016 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Forest_biker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the next step...Jockey Hill, Blue Mtn, Ferncliff, Stewart.......?

Last edited by Forest_biker on Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tim845

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'd need alot of backup BykHed signs, damn hoolies
The WMBA effort was valiant, I helped for a day. Most of those signs were gone in a month.

More importantly, though... the club means well. If anyone has positive ideas on how to improve riding in our area by all means speak up online or at a meeting or email the board!

Last edited by Tim845 on Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Forest_biker

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

....and they would be extra nice! Wink

Last edited by Forest_biker on Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tim845

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

21+ colors is exponentially more advanced technology
TriassicDoc
El Presidente

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are excellent points, thank you for the feedback.

Here are some pro-sign points that have been made, not necessarily stemming from myself, but from many other group members and 909 users:

A lot of biking areas that we travel to have great signage and most of us would not be able to navigate there as well if they did not have signs.

909 is one of the most heavily used mtb locations in the state.

For emergency responders. With all of the use comes increased opportunity for injury. When it's you, it kind of sucks to wait 45 minutes on the phone trying to explain where the Gut trail is to a dispatcher when you have an emergency. GPS and phone service is often sketchy in this area.

We have considered a lot of pros and cons. Basically, the map is not very helpful for those who come to visit 909 a couple of times a year because there are so many offshoots created by loggers.

Another suggestion I just thought of--what if we just posted GPS coordinates or numbers at intersections on natural looking signs at key locations for emergency responders? Other clubs have gotten funding for this from All State. We don't have to do that because we have money for it.

Thanks for considering.
jamesframes

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify-the dec has not stated flat out that they are not in favor of this. They are simply waiting for us to pursue further if we decide to.

Support your LBS-Bicycle Depot New Paltz NY
TriassicDoc
El Presidente

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The feedback I have received for improvements to 909 are for better signs because many people are frustrated with the map not matching up with the trails. Perhaps this is a user-error issue, but this is the main feedback I hear from 909.

The people who ride here locally and who have been riding here, myself included, have no problem finding our way around without the signs. However, it is a state land, and this also gives FITC an opportunity to put our logo and branding up. Cheesy, I know, but this can lead to increased interest in our club. Overall, I see it as a benefit, especially since we seem to have declined in actual club trail activity in the last 2 years.

Again, these are not based on my own ideas, but they come from Mike Vitti, the NYS Trails Council, and other clubs that are doing great and have lots of trail maintenance participation.
BillB3
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signs could be a great idea, if implemented properly!
Calsdad

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Forestbiker, NO signs!

Leave the woods alone. Half the fun of a new area is exploration with a "good chance of getting lost".

With today's technology nobody should be getting lost.

What's next? Pavement and streetlights? Pedaling their bikes for them? E-bikes?
TriassicDoc
El Presidente

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand and I am on your side, trust me! However, we need ideas for getting more people involved, for one thing, and the main complaint about 909 is people not being able to navigate. Technology access at 909 is very limited and there exist safety concerns that I mentioned.

Please stay on scope for this discussion--we are not talking about anything more than a piece of untreated wood to be installed at a few intersections, this has nothing to do with the e-bike discussion, paving trails, or anything else.

If you would like, I can bring up the e-bike discussion at the meeting. I have my own personal opinions, but I want to know yours. Is it worthy discussing? Do we see these things on trails? Should we be proactive?

Thanks all for your input, I really appreciate it and we need to have more discussions about how to keep active as an organization.

Getting back to the general scope of my post--if you have ideas or concerns relating to trails anywhere in our region, or places where you would like access, please continue to post up!

I understand and acknowledge the whole controversy of the sign issue at 909. Let's move on to other areas where we can keep doing maintenance and improve relations with other user groups--I am really digging for ideas, where do you guys want access? Where do you live, are there places near you that need some TLC?

Calsdad wrote:
I agree with Forestbiker, NO signs!

Leave the woods alone. Half the fun of a new area is exploration with a "good chance of getting lost".

With today's technology nobody should be getting lost.

What's next? Pavement and streetlights? Pedaling their bikes for them? E-bikes?
Riceball

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NO SIGNS=ELITISM

If you want new users and growth in our sport, you must provide adequate wayfinding in a trail system.

How many in the NO SIGNS camp have had their ride ruined in the Northeast Kingdom by their signage? There is a balance. The elitists owe it to the newbies to find that balance.

Adequate signage also aids rescue efforts.
Tim845

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A connector trail from Jockey Hill to Onteora Lake would get alot more smiles per mile.
http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_forests_pdf/recmapbswf.pdf
TriassicDoc
El Presidente

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think someone mentioned a connector trail between Jockey and Onteora at the meeting--there used to be one, but it got overgrown? This sounds like a good project. We would have to find out about private land, etc., but of course there are ways to get around that and work with land owners.
Tim845

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The map shows contiguous state owned land crossing Morey Hill Rd. There's never been a legal connector.
BillB3
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim845 wrote:
The map shows contiguous state owned land crossing Morey Hill Rd. There's never been a legal connector.

Kevin is the man to talk to about this. I believe he had a conversation with our Forester very recently about this exact topic.
Tim845

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schweet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: