Find us on Facebook Follow FatsInTheCats on Twitter Follow our RSS News Feed
Home Membership Calendar Trail Building Forums Trails & Bike Shops Photos Links Contact
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups     CalendarCalendar  RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
909 report 2015
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Trails
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim D

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2015 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rode today trails are really good. A few wet spots but not too bad. Came across two idiots on duel sport motorcycles trying to go up bikehed. I told them they aren't suposed to be in there. Guy argued that he was on the main road? Rather than spending the next seven hrs. Trying to beat all the stupid out of him, I continued on. When I got to the bottom I call the Rangers number, reported it and left it at that.
So I get to the Tyrell parking lot and guess who's there heading down past the road closed sign to the dead end. Well when he comes back I had a few things I wanted to clear up and as I ran over towards him he sped off and waved at me! I Would have gotten a plate number but he had too much mud on it.
One bike was a Suzuki dr650 blue NY plate, the other I am pretty sure was a Yamaha Sherpa female rider with a Connecticut plate.
On a side note a friend who rode yesterday said she had some idiots (different idiots) on dirt bikes riding in the trails aswell.
Maybe next weekend we can get the ranger to spend a little time in there.
chiefmatesam

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's a good time to ride with a gopro so we can catch these idiots without having to think about it and report to the rangers. Agreed that the ranger might want to spend some more time there...
Tim845

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trailwork needed:
The Hemlocks in Pond Gut have dropped their lower limbs with the recent dry weather by a few feet and are now at poking level. They need to be cleared.

Timbuktu needs pruning near where it turns to singletrack from the downhill.

I pruned the area near where the 2 halves meet.

Watch out & report if possible, a quad & other goobers. Theyre really messing things up on/off trail. Including Pond Gut singletrack.

When goober usage goes up, so does trash in the woods. These ^#$$heads also left a nice long fluid leak from the Snowmobile trail near Burn past Watchamacallit.

I'll be happy to pass any info along to DEC, there's also new DEC contact info in the Tyrrel kiosk. Thanks.
TriassicDoc
El Presidente

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The map was also changed and most of the singletrack is no longer listed on the new map ??
Tim845

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. I havent met the new Forester yet to discuss.
chiefmatesam

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noticed that the ride arounds are starting to appear again. First one I've really noticed was on whatchamacallit, maybe 1000 feet in starting at the top, at the little drop that takes a bit of skill to get down. HUGE ride around now with a nice gentle slope down. I don't think anyone except me rides the tough line anymore. Do we want block the ride around? 2nd one is on Bykhed on the way up, right where the trail goes over a bunch of tree roots and a big nasty rock right before the trail crosses over the rock "fence" (it's the one after the big rock/root combo that's tough to get over). Someone moved the rocks/branches I had put over the ride around sometime in the past couple of weeks. As Tim says, the trail gnomes will prevail.
Tim845

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to fix that Whatchamacallit ride around. On the bright side, if you ride the trail uphill it is a nice option.
The trail gnomes will only prevail if they're vigilant.

My main concern is the overgrowth that needs to be pruned. Ticks suck.
chiefmatesam

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tim - I can take some time to fix it if you think it's worth it. If you give me some trails that need trimmed back, I'll bring my gas hedge trimmers in and get it knocked out fairly quickly. I know the end of Whatchamacallit needs it. If it's deep in 909, I'll hit it up one morning early before I go to work (if it's close to ppl's houses, I'll wait for a w/e).
Tim845

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no houses there. The ones on Pond Gut Rd all ride 2-strokes anyway Evil or Very Mad

End of Whatchamacallit certainly is a jungley section.

In my opinion, the pruning is way more important than cleaning the cuttings off the trail Wink
chiefmatesam

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems the storms Wednesday brought down some stuff....big tree down on Mercury (too big for me to move by myself and will most likely require a saw) - it's on the lower half down in the small valley. 2nd tree is down on the upper half of Green Acres , maybe 50 feet from where it spits out on top of Anthill. This one is not easily walked around and will definitely require a saw. If anyone works on one of these, I'd work on Green Acres first as Mercury can be easily walked around.
Forest_biker

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folding Saws:Mr. Green

After using a Silky (fixed blade) for a few seasons I find most of the time when I need the saw, it's in the car or at home. Even the folding Silky is big and bulky to keep in a pack every ride.

I found myself going back to a older folding saw that I have. When I went to buy a new blade for it, a new saw was cheaper than a replacement blade. ...about $20

The Corona is relatively small, fits inside most packs and it light.
80% of the time I'm riding I carry it, mostly because I forget it's there...until it's needed.

After two years it's still sharp. I'm always riding with a small group, so with this and some muscle we clear a good bit of deadfall.
...any thing it can't handle is usually chainsaw work.

http://www.amazon.com/Corona-RS-7265-Folding-Pruning/dp/B001RD7LRO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432985132&sr=8-1&keywords=corona+hand+saw

A few of us have Silky's also, but they always require a return trip to the spot....since nobody carrys them.
cdub

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A pocket chainsaw is another great option. Smaller to store, can cut through thicker limbs than a folding saw, cuts just as fast, and uses more muscle groups so it's not as tiring.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HHLBFX6/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687582&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0002YPMSY&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0NJG3GPSKYQAGGXQGVBY
Forest_biker

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cdub wrote:
A pocket chainsaw is another great option. Smaller to store, can cut through thicker limbs than a folding saw, cuts just as fast, and uses more muscle groups so it's not as tiring.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HHLBFX6/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687582&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B0002YPMSY&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0NJG3GPSKYQAGGXQGVBY

I've never had one that lasted long.
How long have you used this model?

My main complaint for this type of saw is when your cutting springy limbs of a fresh deadfall, you usually need one hand to hold the limb from moving around.
cdub

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a cheap one that is on its third year. Just like a regular chainsaw, need to oil it occasionally and sharpen it. Yeah, springy stuff is tricky if you can't secure it but that's why I also pack a foldable Corona.

One situation where a hand saw can't compete is when there are things to cut that are out of reach or too dangerous � high dead limbs, hanging "widow makers", etc. ��i keep a long set of ropes with the chainsaw that I can toss over a high limb or simply cut something from a distance.
ProfessorCracker

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Danger on byk head Reply with quote

DANGER if you ride bykhead down hill from where the race usually climbs. There is a medium sized oak down on a semi blind left turn. Someone smartly placed a few saplings across the trail a yards up hill. I was climbing, if I was hitting in my normal reckless downhill it would have bite me.
A hand saw is needed.
Tim D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I saw that yesterday, didn't have a saw. We had four guys on it but not enough room to break it off and the base is still attaches so we couldn't drag it. But, we gave it a heck of a try. Need a saw for sure.
HVmtb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upper 1/2 of Timbuk2 has been weed whacked - enjoy!

www.HVmtb.com

The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine. ~John Howard
Jim

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for weed whacking! And a thanks to whomever cleared the downed tree on Bky Head, it wasn't there today. Tim, Gordon, and I cleared two trees on Getaway.
Tim845

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The club added to the trail tools collection and purchased a 24" 40v hedge trimmer.

I did a test run today and am pretty happy with the results, though we'll need to buy an extra $85 battery. I did Burn and parts of Timbuktu from the middle. I got a 45 minute run time and did the equivalent of what would have taken 3 hours by hand. Claims of 3/4" cuts seem realistic, but I think the occasional 1/2" is good enough with longevity in mind. Its light enough to bike it in with a big pack.
jamesframes

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES!!!!!

Support your LBS-Bicycle Depot New Paltz NY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Fats in the Cats Bicycle Club Forum Index -> Trails All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: